Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

Cargo roof racks?

4 posts in this topic

Somebody's selling a cargo roof rack near me pretty cheap, but not sure if I get them. Can you tie a kayak on them or attach a ski rack for rods? Or are just truck jewelry only to be used for Costco runs?

On mine I made 2 cross bars out of 1" square aluminum fromHdepot mounted one to the front and one to the back and attached Mini Quick Fists to it for rods. Three sets of smalls on one side for thin butt rods and mediums in the rear w smalls on the front for thicker butt bait rods. Worked out pretty good if I do say so myself!

They are the starting point for anything else you want to put up there. My truck didn't come with any roof rack at all and it's been a pain in the butt anytime I want to add extra capability. I had to use gutter mounts to add a small roof basket and still have no place to easily add lights or a rod rack unless I add crossbars.

There's plenty of uses for them depending on what you want to do besides them being "truck jewelery".

I use mine to transport skis, kayak on occasion and to transport my fishing rod/s.

They've also been used to transport extension ladders.