Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angryeel

queston for TimS

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Tim. I know you have an Allstar 1209 with a 975 on it; my question is, what is the least amount of weight it will throw? Will it toss a 2oz swimmer? I know it will toss anything on the high side of what I am looking for, but am curious about the low. I am looking for someting to fish the ditch and some other big rips, but would like, if possible, to be able to toss the larger plugs with it as well as big jigs. Thanks for any direction.

Angryeel

An honest 2oz will cast but it won't load the rod very well...barely even...but you can cast it...pretty muchicon15.gificon15.gif Tough question...I can cast 2oz with it pretty well...2oz jigs that is. 2oz wood? I dunno...it's the most extreme low range you can throw on that rod...it's not a pluggin' sticksmile.gif

The XS10MHC Lamiglas would be my recommendation - it'll do the 2oz wood pretty well and will also throw 5-6oz jigs really far smile.gif

TimS

Thanks Tim. That is kind of what I thought; I really like my 1088 and thought the 1209 might make a good big brother. Too bad they don't make a 1208.5 .

Angryeel

With a long casting tail , you can sweep a 2OZ swimmer out there with a 1209. That's about it. Some rods that will cast a two OZ swimmer and allow you to cast 4 and maybe 5 OZ jigs are the XRA 1205 (rated 1 -5) , the Allstar 1266/2 (rated 2- 5 but great at 4) , the Loomis 1266/2 (rated 1 to 4 OZ ), If its soft enough to do two well , its probably pretty well strained at 5OZ. I think that if you want that much range out of a rod , you need a very long one or a heavy glass one. The ARA 1322 would also cast the range you want. Real good at 2 to 4.

Its hard to get one rod that will do it all. If they said you have to give up all your rods but one for everything , I'd keep my loomis 1266/2. However if they said you can only fish the Ditch , I would keep the 1209. My opinion is the 1209 is a good Ditch rod cause you can land just about any striper under just about any current conditions. Its not primarily for its casting ability although it will cast 4 and 5 great.