Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shivsean

Reel recommendation for a St Croix Mojo 9" surf Rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I wanted to add a larger rod to my quiver for some of the larger Tarpon and Sharks we get here on the Treasure Coast of Florida. My next largest combo is a Quantum Cabo 40, spooled with 20# braid, on a Lummis 8' one-piece surf rod (the old model). I've landed 75lb+ Tarpon on that but it is really pushing  the equipment to its limit.

I want something larger on that ros I mentioned to thow larger poppers and pencils, that the larger Tarpon and Jack will take down here.

I dont want to spend much more than $200ish.

What are your recommendations.

Here is a Tarpon I landed Saturday on an Abu Record, 7 1/2 MH casting rod and 20# braid. That is about the limit for that set up.

I want a bigger gun, lol.

Sean1818786

I have Stradic 5000FJ that balances out on a St. Croix 9ft Mojo nicely (it holds about 275yds of 30lb Sufix 832), but you might be better served by a reel that is bigger, stouter, and more robust if those are the fish you are going for. 

Maybe the Stradic 6000FJ?

The Penn SSV's are a good reel, they don't stay butter smooth when you crank the handle but they do maintain a great free spin to the handle, but they are durable and a 5000SSV will balance out nicely with a 9ft Mojo.

Wow! Good for you! Very nice Tarpon! Question: Did you keep this wonderful fish or was it released ? Just wondering...Regardless it's your call. Not being judgmental. I am also searching for a similar rod. Since I am limited (in experience) to surf fishing...Am very interested in what the other (more experienced) members have to say...

I would take a hard look at the Quamtum size 50 in either the Boca or the Cabo. I bought a pair of Boca's early this year in size 50 and I am extremely pleased with them. Size weight capacity etc. All dead on for a light surf reel.

I actually picked up the Boca 50 last night. It is spot on, and the only difference between it and the Boca 40 is  the 50 has a deeper spool and is 2/10 of an ounce heaver. I see the Boca 40 is 13.9 ounces and the 50 is 14.1.

Great balance and I can put well over 300 yrs of 20lb braid on it. I might upgrade to 30lb braid and just utilize this combo in the winter for larger Tarpon and Shark.

Thank you everyone

Best of luck with your choice. I have had a good season with big bluefish and they can really test a reel. I have been very pleased with the Boca's. No flex. They really feel strong and smooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfin View Post

Best of luck with your choice. I have had a good season with big bluefish and they can really test a reel. I have been very pleased with the Boca's. No flex. They really feel strong and smooth.

I got a few Blues last night. Sebastian Inlet, east coast of Florida. Off the south jetty. Maybe 4# - nothing like you  guys get. Check out the live cam at the inlet. http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/

This inlet is a jewel for us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Jankowsk View Post

Wow! Good for you! Very nice Tarpon! Question: Did you keep this wonderful fish or was it released ? Just wondering...Regardless it's your call. Not being judgmental. I am also searching for a similar rod. Since I am limited (in experience) to surf fishing...Am very interested in what the other (more experienced) members have to say...

Tarpon cannot be harvested at all per Florida law, unless you possess a permit beforehand. And you can only take one per year. They have no table value - they are totally inedible. You'd only want to keep one to verify a world or line class record. The rules in Florida actually state that fish over 40 inches must not be removed from the water. Mine was close to that.