Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoreBird

Any Amateur Radio Operators out There

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

My license expired in 2006. I want to get back into it. What are the steps i need to take to get re-licensed? Study and take the test? Or do I need to register with the FCC first. I seem to remember getting a Novice ticket first then studying for Technician.

Shorebird, your local Ham Radio club is your best bet. If you are interested (and have the rig for) HF, you will want to pursue your General license. If you just prefer 2m, then a technician grade is fine. Also, there are no Morse code requirements anymore.

Oh and don't forget, there are plenty of excellent Amateur Radio forums out there for help and questions :>)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3dr View Post

Just curious, but with the advent of cell phones, didn't Ham radios go the way of CB's. ?  I thought it was extinct.

CB is extinct :huh:.   Seems pretty popular with certain professions. 

American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is your best source of information.

Examinations are now administered by volunteer examiners (VE)

As a former licensee, you now retain credit for some past examination elements.

ARRL can tell you when examinations are scheduled in YOUR area.

They can also sell you a study guide. Some libraries have this too.

They have a website, and a toll-free telephone. They are located in Newington, CT.

...Ham radio is not extinct...in fact it is much more active than ever. Since the code requirement was dropped in the US, there are thousands of new hams every year. 73 from Delaware K3LRH ... -.-

There are several websites that can help you prepare for whatever class of license you want, of course there is usually a fee involved. Of course a local club is great. Our local hospital put on a study course so employees could obtain a license to help the hospital out in the event the normal communications went down.