Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt.Castafly

Hair today, Well, maybe yesterday's news

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm guessing the feather hair extensions craze is over for the most part.

Certainly put a dent in the availability of saddle hackles, that and driving prices sky high for tiers.

Don't hear anyone talk about it anymore. Are beauty salons still using the technique, I don't know?

Haven't checked EBay at all to see is saddle hackles still sell there for hairdressers.

The hackle market must be stable by now with plenty of chickens raised to replace the craze.

It's been more than two years, I'm guessing it takes that long to raise a mature brood of male chickens.

Ray- Any of my chickens were mature after only a year even the roosters. The breeders may be trying to hold back to keep the price up as the craze has pretty much died out.

Ron

Ray, I browse ebay a lot & there are still some sellers advertising hackle for hair, & selling single hackles in various quantities, but I believe the craze is pretty much over. There appears to be plenty of hackle available now, but as you've said prices are higher than before the craze started. I don't buy much dry fly stuff, don't have much need for it, but do look for saddles suitable for tying buggers & flat wings. Used to be prices for bugger saddles were in the $15 to $20 range, now I'm seeing $35 on average. Flatwing saddles are available too, and prices look to be about $35-$50, but not sure if they're holdover or newly produced. Grizzly are priced higher than plain colors. I know Whiting had discontinued producing them at one time, but not sure if that's still the case. Colors seem to be very limited now too. There's certainly hackle to be had, if you're willing to pay the higher prices.

It will be the last of the craze, but prices are sky high over here, low price for a coloured grisly saddle is 75 euro's (about 95 dollar i think). So im still waiting for the price to drop.

Some times i try to buy bulk and get a decent price but still to high to be interesting.

Lets all hope prices drop soon. 

I seen acouple of girls over the Summer with feathers stuck in their melons . Hopefully the stupidity is over for good . But the damages been done I don't believe the breeders are holding back it takes time to produce hackle of the quality we want . I'm betting we'll never see the prices like we used to but they'll come down maybe not soon but I believe they will . I can live with out them I don't want to but I cant afford to pay current prices that's for sure not as hobby tyer .

A buck a feather!? How big is this feather? I know ZERO about this stuff. The high end stuff I heard about . But what are you making that uses this feather?

I don't know...I got some grisly hackle $14 and there is a quality ton of stuff for me. There has to be 300 feathers on it. I guess?.?

I like to ty with them. Please explain this $feather.:scuba:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishing pete View Post

A buck a feather!? How big is this feather? I know ZERO about this stuff. The high end stuff I heard about . But what are you making that uses this feather?

I don't know...I got some grisly hackle $14 and there is a quality ton of stuff for me. There has to be 300 feathers on it. I guess?.?

These feathers are very long and slim with stiff barbules the type used on dry flies . You'll see them used on long flat wing flies. I like these for tying dry flies myself I like that I can get a few flies from one feather.

Yes when the ladies had the crazy feather in the hair faze 2 years ago i sold a cape of long spaghetti thin hackles for $1 a feather, i think i flipped a $20 cape into $300