Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

D-Day for striped bass

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

today is the day the striped bass committee for ASMFC meets to decide the new regs for for stripers that will apply for (likely) the next 5-10 years...... keeps your ears/eyes peeled for what comes out of the meeting today in Mystic CT. I think we are all hoping for a meaningful step towards conserving the stocks.

keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned!!

I wish I had saved a screen shot, but overwhelming support of 1 year time table at option B reference points in the public comment summary. Hopefully this is a good trend for the afternoon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie M View Post

I wish I had saved a screen shot, but overwhelming support of 1 year time table at option B reference points in the public comment summary. Hopefully this is a good trend for the afternoon.

Is this what you're looking for?

# in Support

Option

Bag Limit

Size

Trophy

B1

28”

None

B2

30”

B3

32”

B4

28” – 40”

B5

33”

B6

28”-34”

B7

2 (1 Slot 1 Trophy

1 28” – 34”

1 @ 36”

B8

2 (1 Slot 1 Trophy)

1 28” – 36”

1 @ 38”

B9

2 (1 Slot 1 Trophy)

1 28” – 37”

1 @ 40”

Or was it this one:

#

Option

3.0 proposed Management Program

A

Status Quo, maintain current striped bass management program

B

Reduce F to the target in one year.  25% harvest reduction

C

Reduce F to the target in three years. 17% harvest reduction

D

Reduce F to the target in three years.  7+7+7% harvest reduction

You can listen live by following this link, register... then check your email and follow that link.  The meeting is on lunch break at the moment.  It should resume by 1:30pm   https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/256839182

What has happened so far is as follows ( summary - off the top of my head )

1. It was acknowledged that public comment period ended, and that no further comments are to be taken on the Draft Addendum at this time.

2. There were 3,800+ total responses in the form of letters or public (in-person) comments during the 45 day public comment period.

3. Questions were fielded to further clarify concerns in regards to data, numbers, charts, effective percentages and the mathematical probabilities of their respective certainty.

4. Public comments were reviewed using charts, and general comment classifications were noted, some particular to specific areas.

5. The Draft Addendum's choices were reviewed / explained by Mike Waine, Mike also explained that the ASMFC has specific triggers that call for action.  It was included that option B the one year 25% reduction is / was the Technical committee's recommendation.  The 3 year options were added to the addendum at the board's discretion, based on concern in regards socioeconomic impacts.

6. Law enforcement report made the statement that a single change or no change was in their interest based on ability to enforce.  (i.e. it is easier to change laws / enforce laws that make a single change for example 1 fish @ X size, than the 3 year step choice or various seasons would allow)

Neither of those HollandHacker. It showed the number of letters received for the options, and then another with a breakdown of each regulation of the option. Option B.3 (1@32) got the clear majority of support.

I don't see have the exact numbers, but the VAST MAJORITY of letters received during in the public comment period were in favor of the 25% reduction to occur within one year.... IE, people want conservation of the stocks.