Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnycakes

Rod warranties,what is fair?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

In another thread it was brought up again so I was thinking. What seems fair to the fisherman? I personally don't deal with any of the warrantied rods but being out there fishing or on here people have came to me telling me what happened and asking what can be done. because of my relationships I know a decent amount about rods,what they do and what they are supposed to do and what they can't do. Yet I am a fisherman first and formost. So with that being said what seems fair with a rod that is a couple of years old and it breaks?

Depends on the rod. Some are obvious throw always while others carry such a high price that a replacement would be justified. I've never thought the warranty should cover things like car door or running over the rod. If you broke it, that's it. If it broke while being used during casting, within limits, or fighting a fish, then the warranty should apply. Fair would be tough since there are plenty of people out there who take advantage. Five year full replacement and some sort of sliding scale afterward is fine.

A rod that is a few years old and breaks - shouldn't be covered under warranty. 3-6 months is fair, a true defect should show in that time. There are potential issues with a period that short, someone could get an end of year purchase and not use the rod for 6 months. So, maybe make it a year? But that seems excessive to me too.

For the most part, today's rods don't have warranties - they have insurance policies and we all pay for that in the cost of the rod whether we use it or not.

I agree with Levari, live by a clearly written policy and everyone will be happy. I would think that any rod that has lasted a few years and then breaks is not the responsibility of the manufacturer. A break in the first few days might be.

In before the lock.

*sly, this is a huge pet peeve with me. Rods should be warrantied for Manufactures Defects. Period. The length of that period is up to the Manufacture.

So if a rod folds 2 hours into its inaugural trip, or guide wraps are coming off, clear coat starts to yellow, reel seat starts slipping etc. are manufactures defects.

This other bull crap that anglers feed shops EVERY SINGLE DAY about how their 40lb jigging rod got smashed fishing for little white perch in the back while the reel is spooled with 80lb braid....duh. If you have ever worked in a shop the rods that come in crusty, dirty, salty and abused and some guy wants his money back. They lie and huff and puff. It kills shops because the Manufacture will not cover it. WHy the hell should they?

These things can last a lifetime or they can be beat up good in a season and give up the ghost. But when your 2 year old rod breaks fishing the rocks again in big water, chances are that is YOUR fault. Suck it up and pay for it.

I still process my first rod and reel . It is a pen 77 on a six foot boat rod that over fifty years ago I used for every type of fishing. I wonder if it still has a guarantee?   

Shimano dropped their life time OTC warrenty because people were abusing the policy.

But, the year long warrenty they now offer is just fine, because, as you guys mentioned, if it doesn't break after the first couple of uses, the rod blank is fine.

I have rods from my grandfathers and father. Reels too. Got some beauts on display in my bathroom (only place wife lets me do it. lol)

I have also had good rods break for seemingly no reason. You just never know.

Only time I ever turned one in was because it was a shimano and they had a over the counter policy and I legitimately believed it was a factory issue.

Depends on the rod. Some are obvious throw always while others carry such a high price that a replacement would be justified. I've never thought the warranty should cover things like car door or running over the rod. If you broke it, that's it. If it broke while being used during casting, within limits, or fighting a fish, then the warranty should apply. Fair would be tough since there are plenty of people out there who take advantage. Five year full replacement and some sort of sliding scale afterward is fine.

I agree with MitchellNJ on this.

Warranty on defects and craftsmanship is one thing.

Breakage due to being run over or falling off rod/roof rack is another.

Length of warranty can be a tough one but it should be clearly defined.

I have gotten into St. Croix rods this past summer and I will admit that it is nice knowing that they have the warrenties that they do have.

For instance, they give anglers the opportunity to admit that it was their fault the rod broke through a freak accident and still get the rod repaired or replaced through the Gold Star program.

30 years ago, I bought an UglyStik 5 1/2 foot bass rod. I told my wife "Watch this, you can touch the tip to the handle..... BANG! pieces of the rod were struck in he walls and ceiling. :D

.......I didn't even think of saving the shards, I was kinda sad, it was a nice rod. :(:laugh::laugh:

...but the warranties that some of these companies offer can be the deciding factor in the customers decision to buy their rods. I know I personally bought Shimano rods because of their OTC lifetime warranty. I own a Crucial bass rod, Crucial Inshore and a 1st gen Tiralejo (sp). Now I bought these rods knowing that they came with this warranty, I haven't had to use it but now I feel somewhat slighted and unsure of what will happen if one does break. A little off topic