Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

What an idiot

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Roids must have fried his brain, according to what I heard on the radio he shot it off.

Jose Canseco accidentally shoots himself in the hand, police say

(CNN) -- Former baseball slugger Jose Canseco accidentally shot himself in his left finger while cleaning a gun, police said.

He was in surgery Tuesday night, his fiancee tweeted.

"This is Leila . Thank you all for the kind words and prayers . Jose is in still surgery and will be ok. Please pray for his finger !!," she said in a tweet posted to his account.

Canseco, who hit more than 450 home runs during his 17 seasons in the big leagues, was hit when his semiautomatic handgun accidentally went off, Las Vegas police said.

Canseco won the American League Rookie of the Year award in 1986 and was the league MVP two years later while with the Oakland A's.

A controversial figure and admitted steroid user, he claimed there was widespread use of performance enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball.

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

:v:

a negligent discharge can happen to anyone.

the more frequntly you handle a firearm, the higher the likelihood of an N D.

the most important rule is:

know tha status of your weapon at all times. proceed accordingly.

if you are pointing it in a safe direction, at least you are covered if you inadvertently have your booger hook on the bang switch.

your booger hook is sympathetically tied to your thumb. whatever your thumb does, your booger hook may follow.

Agreed...

The fundamental rules of firearm safety help.

I've only had a couple...it shakes you up (me at least)

Each time (after I paused for a second) I was grateful that this was ingrained in me, but for just a second I still wasn't completely sure.

Consider that if Jose observed even one of the Four Rules he'd still have his finger :dismay:

Whenever I take kids to the range, before we get in the truck they must recite the Four Rules or they stay home. There have been tears.

:v:

a negligent discharge can happen to anyone.

I've had two issues that to this day give me pause.

The first was fairly early in my experience, and as a result of not following our directed safety routine.

When we practice we mimic the safety process that we use while shooting in competitions. Make ready, execute our drill, unload, show clear, hammer down, holster.

One day I had executed a drill and my gun went to slide lock. I dropped the magazine, slide forward and DECOCKED the gun, holster.

As I'm walking back to the table something just didn't seem right.

So I faced up range, drew the gun and checked it's condition.

Round in the pipe.

I just knew it.

I have an issue with my fat thumb and the slide release on the 92fs. In this case I had held it up and locked the slide.

If I had followed our regiment I would have dropped the hammer and discharged the round.

No harm, no foul, but a very important lesson.

The second happened last week during the steel event.

I'm shooting out of a different holster and couldn't get a good feel for it all day.

On one draw the gun doesn't come to my hand right and the muzzle points into my hip as I get better purchase on the grip.

If my finger had been on the trigger I'd be pissing into a bag right now, or worse.