Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sam Cade

Concerned and intimidated - Talica 16 ii 2 speed.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Not a conventional (in last 20 yrs) reel guy. Venturing out. Learning again. Have I lost my mind?

Just purchased this beautiful new reel. Will use to target yft, Sails, bottom fish, mahi, and small Marlin.

Out of box...noticed about 1/8 inch vertical freeplay (Up and down -jiggle) in the handle. Is this normal..strikes me as odd...for a reel in this price range. Someone talk me off the roof!

Set Strike drag at 21 lbs...Approx 1/3 of line strength...65 lb braid...Intimidating...that in itself is huge....especially with a reel drag of 45 lbs! Would take a beast...to manage...at 21lbs...much less..when close to its maximum. Set at 25% or 33%. Open to sensible recommendation. ...Im a bigg guy but no beast...at 59....

Help me out....you guys....reel experts..and past and present beast!

Sam Cade

Got yourself a heck of a reel there! Once you put it to the test, you will wonder how you ever got by without one. The 16II will handle any of the species that you have listed. Big power in a small package. For some reason all of the newer 2 speed Shimano, Avet and Accurates have the play in the handle that you were talking about.

My friends in Texas use them as surf casting reels. These guys can cast the crap out of these reels and they pull in big sharks with ease.

Check back in after you use it and let us know what you think.

Your thoughts on what to set drag at. Put it on Okuma Andros 6ft 2 pc jigging rod 80-200 lb braided line Hvy reel. will use primarily for trolling and jigging with 8 to 10 oz shimano butterfly jigs.

Thx for the input.

Sam

Awesome reel that is my baby!!! 16-18lb of drag is what I like on it for tuna.

I use it for tuna jigging and offshore seabass trips also brought it to Alaska for halibut and ling cod, that thing is a smooooth wench!!!

Congrats on the purchase!!!

Your thoughts on what to set drag at. Put it on Okuma Andros 6ft 2 pc jigging rod 80-200 lb braided line Hvy reel. will use primarily for trolling and jigging with 8 to 10 oz shimano butterfly jigs.

Thx for the input.

Sam

For trolling and jigging I usually set it slightly less than "strike" so I would say high teens. I think for jigging, the 16II is a little wide, but will definitely work. I just prefer "N" or narrow reels for jigging, easier for fast line retrieve. I know 21lbs of drag may seem like a lot at "strike", but you will be surprised that even smaller fish will be able to initially take some drag.

Thanks,

MY intention is to not use that much for jigging.  Will probably go ahead and set drag at 21 lbs and then use the lever drag accordingly based on what I think is on the other end.  

I have two other spinning setups that are lighter to handle the majority of my speed jigging activities.  

This Talica 16ii setup up will be used primarily for trolling...and think I am reasonably covered.  I have two other spinning rigs set up for trolling for fish targeted at 150 lbs or less.  This is the Okuma Nomad 7ft Travel with two tips... H and MH.  Using Shimano Thunnis 12000 Ci 4 with about 350 yards of Suffix 832 Advanced in Neon Yellow braid - 50 lb.  Again equipment needs to be logically based on targeted species...and then skill / experience has to take over...eh? Need to be set up for success....that covered....experience /skill reins supreme.  As they say....nothing fixes stupid.

Would be rare exception to hook into anything greater than 150 lb.  Perhaps a Marlin in the 200 - 250lb category... Then shows on....and then all the skill / experience and other intangibles come into play. Drag will be set in the 12 - 14 lb category

Thanks,  Any other comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Sam