Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NickinMass

Calling IT guys - wifi network question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how (if) I can connect a second wireless router to the wireless router that came with my Fios service to create a second network? I have the wireless router from Fios set up and that works fine using WPA2 security. My son has a handheld gaming device (Nintendo 3DS) that will only connect to WEP networks and he wants to connect to the internet with it. I have a second router that I can plug into one of the LAN ports on the router, but when I've tried to set up the second (WEP) network on that second router, it somehow shuts down the WPA2 network. Any ideas for me?

I haven't tried this myself but if you're connecting the routers via a hard wired ethernet connection it should work. You may need to modify the ethernet cable though so the transmit and receive pairs are flipped on one end, sort of like a null modem cable.

One other thing you may need to look at in the routers is the channels they are broadcasting the wifi signal on. Make sure that they are on 2 different wireless channels and as far apart as possible. For example put one wifi channel on channel 1 and the other at the opposite end of the channel line. You want to minimize and RF cross talk between the channels.

You FIOS router should be able to handle the 3DS. Mine does. They are backwards compatible.

If not the second router needs to be set up as an access point and not as a router. You have to go to the IP address of the router and change the settings somewhere in the web interface.

When you add the other router to the main router that issues the IP addresses (DHCP Enabled) ... make sure that to configure the other router to disable DHCP or you will have conflicting IP addresses.