Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
notimetopiss

Where are all the bluefish ?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

My dad keeps telling me stories about the 9 pound bluefish he would catch around this time of year. I was out all sunday driving around to every spot looking for even just snapping bluefish.

I have found a couple spots that seem to hold them all the time. They don't act like your typical blitz crazy blues either. More like bass. Probably cause it's in the mouth of a tidal River type area so they just hang around waiting for tides to push bait to them. But I do agree. I have not seen blitzes in so long. I used to be able to go out and catch big Blues all the time. Now I never see that.

Its funny I spent all summer wishing they would go away, end of the summer till about three weeks ago I was killing the 1.5-3lb range size now in the lull I cant find them. Oddly enough Im still on the king fish in one spot regardless of bait or tide. Theyve been taking clams and bloods.....

Depends where the bunker are at and you know the Bluefish aren't that far behind. They are machines that love to attack and crush anything, even plugs you chuck at them! 

Maybe not anymore, there have been lots of bunker sightings with "nothing on em" at least the NY side of western LIS. Shore fishing anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieT View Post

My dad keeps telling me stories about the 9 pound bluefish he would catch around this time of year. I was out all sunday driving around to every spot looking for even just snapping bluefish.

when my grandfather was still alive (80s), every sept and oct was bluefish heaven.  I would come home from school and they would have peanuts or mullet up on the beach.  big ****ers too.  10-15lbs.   he would always be waiting already smelling like bluefish slime.  I miss that old man! 

Big blues have been around my area the last two weeks.  Last week they were feeding on adult bunker and this week its been baby weakfish, but it was slow today though.