Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccb

How do you keep your waders soft

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

I rinse my waders off after every fishing day to get the saltwater off them.

If you have breathable waders,the card that came with them said you should do this to be sure they remain breathable.

In any case, I always wash off my waders, rod, reel and lures after every day/night out.

I don't own/use waders. I surf fish on the beach. You don't know what is in the water when you wade out into the bay/ocean. You can't see underneath you. Plus there might be a shark or giant bluefish near by ready to ram into you. 

My grandfathers Goodyear Rubber hip waders well over 50 years old.  I might rinse mud off, otherwise, nothing. The belt straps dry rotted decades ago but the waders are in remarkable shape.

I don't own/use waders. I surf fish on the beach. You don't know what is in the water when you wade out into the bay/ocean. You can't see underneath you. Plus there might be a shark or giant bluefish near by ready to ram into you. 

You need to be in the water to properly release a fish. Standing on a beach wearing shoes means you have to throw your fish into the wash which isn't the safest or most humane way to release a fish. I've even seen waderless fishermen kick their fish back into the water. Either than or you have to bother your neighbor who is wearing waders to take your fish out into the water to release it. If you're a surf fisherman, you should invest in a pair of waders and stop worrying about sharks and bluefish.

I rinse my waders off after every fishing day to get the saltwater off them.

If you have breathable waders,the card that came with them said you should do this to be sure they remain breathable.

In any case, I always wash off my waders, rod, reel and lures after every day/night out.

+1

Been doing this for years now.

I always hang mine to dry after rinsing them off so they completely dry before putting them away. On occasion if I'm fishing long periods with short times in between is the only exception.

You can't surf fish and not get wet or freeze your arse off without waders, they are a necessity. In 35+ years, so far no sharks, been bumped by blues in a blitz, but no harm. Really, even on a calm day, the waders go on. As for keeping them soft, I never thought they were hard or soft under any condition. As for rinsing helping, it may, I never rinsed waders in my life except maybe after a season. Of course my waders don't last long either. :shock:

I rinse my rods, reel and plugs every time I come home from fishing not that often with the waders . When I need to make a repair , like I do now , I rinsed them . Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing a leak in breathable waders ? Was going to get some type of rubber cement glue/adhesive and try that, before it gets any worse and the water gets cold !

I rinse my rods, reel and plugs every time I come home from fishing not that often with the waders . When I need to make a repair , like I do now , I rinsed them . Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing a leak in breathable waders ? Was going to get some type of rubber cement glue/adhesive and try that, before it gets any worse and the water gets cold !

3M 5200 marine caulk works well and stays flexible. West Marine carries it. Aquaseal is good for small leaks.

Thanks Johnny, I'll get a tube of that and keep it handy . I just have a small leak right now but I better fix it before it gets worse .

As suggested above, I also use Aquaseal or Goop on small holes in my waders. A larger problem exists when a bootfoot wader develops a leak where the boot meets the wader leg (which is where most of the leaks occur in bootfoot waders). A friend just told me about Rustoleum's clear rubber spray seal for under $10 available at HD and others and said it works for this type of leak. It takes overnight to dry/cure so you'd have to leave your waders inside out to dry and let those fumes dissapate. If you do go this route, let us know how it works. Good luck!

Flysully , I believe this is my problem, small leak in the top of my boot seam . The problem is after 5or6 hours of fishing my boot has got about 2or3 inches of water in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plug Em All View Post

You can't surf fish and not get wet or freeze your arse off without waders, they are a necessity. In 35+ years, so far no sharks, been bumped by blues in a blitz, but no harm. Really, even on a calm day, the waders go on. As for keeping them soft, I never thought they were hard or soft under any condition. As for rinsing helping, it may, I never rinsed waders in my life except maybe after a season. Of course my waders don't last long either. icon24.gif

I will respectfully disagree with this.  50% of the time I wear uggs.  cozy warm feet..  :th:

if its wet I wear rubber boots.  muck to be exact. 

the waders come out if I have to go on the sandbar or if the surf is really pumping.. 

never had an issue.  me standing 3' farther back than a guy with waders had no affect on how effective I fish.. 

oh yeah..  like anything else in saltwater, freshwater is yer friend.  it will make your waders last longer as well as your non waterproof reels.  a little bit goes a long way...