Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Masterb8tr

Drain Plug

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I finally did it, I got my first boat.  I went to open up the drain plug with a channel lock pliers, and the plug wont move.

I am afraid that too much force will break the housing that the plug fits in.  So the question is, how hard should the plug be tighten on, and how hard should I try to open up the plug?

The boat has been in the water for the entire summer season, and now being on the trailer, I want to make sure that if it rains, it will drain out (I don't want to keep the bilge on auto as I am about to winterize the motor and bringing in the batteries.)

Please take a look at the plug and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!1819352

What a bozo putting in a steel plug. Time to swap out that housing and forget the plug. Pop in a new brass plate with brass plug. If the screws are seized just drill em and pop out it out.

Thanks Riddler,

I knew it didn't look too kosher.  It seemed that they used a plumbing gas plug you get from Home Depot and shoved it in there with some goop. 

How difficult is it to do the job of the change out?

Put the wrench to it (Vice Gripes).but be easy. try to move it just a little each way. but some WD40 or LW on it first. let it set for a while. Be careful , the hole thing may move? If it moves go a little at a time until you have gone a full turn. Good luck

I would say once you get the iron plug out you go to the Hardware store and get a plastic plug, problem solved. Note: i would buy at least two.

Peace

DW40 worked, and it seems it's either brass or bronze.  The flange is good, so now on to cleaning it up.

The prior owner probably cleaned the boat with On-Off. It is an acid solution (sulfuric, maybe). If you just touch brass with it, you get instant fuzzy green corrosion... stuff will ruin a trailer, too.