Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gear-up

One year of building under my belt - help me with this question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Ok so i have been building fishing plugs for a year now and i have had success catching fish in both fresh water and saltwater so thats the good news.  I have learned a lot from you all so thankyou!  I want feedback about why i should use other types of wood other then pine.  I used pine in the beginning because i wanted to learn how to lathe but now im finding it hard to switch wood types.  The only plug i make that i dont use pine is the needlefish plug because heavier wood types sink better.  The durability of the pine to me is the biggest possible issue but i catch bluefish on my plugs with some damage but i dont mind (stripedbass do less damage so even less an issue).  On the science side pine wants to float because of its low density so it makes for good surface or swimming plugs.  i value your opinions so give me feedback good or bad!  Thanks again for all your info!

Your catching fish! And having fun. Who cares what wood u use.

If it works for you why change. I only use red cedar because I like the way the wood floats.

I don't seal my plugs anymore or do fancy paint jobs or anything else. As soon as it hits the water there all turds that float and the action is all that matters

Do what you can afford and have fun!

Very true. If you're concerned with durability I'd suggest sealing the pine with epoxy and then doing the same with the finish. I use red cedar a lot and it's as hard as a rock. I'm thinking it would produce similar results with pine.

best thing about building plugs is we ain't paying 20 bucks for one.......pine's a good wood if it gets trashed who cares......theres better wood like ayc, but we ain't selling so who cares all my poppers were pine this year...there catching....where pine falls short is sometimes the rings make for poor sanding....eastern white pine is nice.....i think of fir as pine there not as nice to work with :D:D

I usually have a pine plug or 2 in every turn. Although I am generalizing all construction grade wood as "pine". Most of the construction grade wood I get around here is SPF. It could be any of the Spruce Pine or Fir woods used in construction grade lumber One tip in buying these woods is to get the longer and wider pieces say 16' or so. As a rule it's a better stick of lumber than the shorter construction grades. They make the bigger sticks out of the best and straightest lumber.

Thank you all again - you have been a wealth of knowledge for the past 12 months and thanks for confirming what my gut was telling me on this topic.  If others have info they want to share i am always open to opinion.