Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiftlineRedcoat

First time flyfishing in the surf. Suggestions?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have been fresh water flyfishing for many years. I got my first taste of saltwater flyfishing earlier this summer when I hooked into a false albacore from a boat just off Point Judith using a borrowed fly rod. A screaming drag 100 yards into the backing is a hard thing to forget. I'm not sure who bit harder, that fish or me.

Since then I have spent a lot of time reading this forum and others trying to learn as much as I can. I found a used nine weight rod and reel and have tied some saltwater flies. (Surf Candy, Deceivers, Clousers). I'm ready to give it a try.

My thought is to fish Watch Hill Beach along the peninsula out into Little Narragansett Bay Monday morning. I figure if the wind gets strong I would be able to switch from one side of the peninsula to the other to the other to take advantage of the wind direction. Is there public access to this beach for fishing? (I'm not asking if fish are there, only if the public has access to the beach.) Truth be told I would consider it a successful day if I didn't snag myself in the back of my head, but catching a few fish would be nice. If any of you have any suggestions, be it equipment, technique or anything else that would help make this first day more enjoyable I sure like to hear them.

Thanks!

Al

The one tip I can give you is take a spinning rod and a fly rod. A fly rod can be devastating from the beach but only if the fish are in close. You can wade out a ways to increase your range but as you wade deeper its harder to keep your backcast high enough to avoid fouling with whatever is behind you. I tend to stay on the sand when I'm using the slender stick, but admit that I am anything but hard core. For several years I played around with ways to range along the beach carrying both rods (without putting either one down). Never did come up with a fully satisfactory solution to this.

Good luck. here's a snap shot of tomorrows weather. It's gonna blow! :thumbd:

ANZ235-270500-

RHODE ISLAND SOUND-

117 PM EDT SUN OCT 26 2014

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

THIS AFTERNOON

NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT.

SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

TONIGHT

NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 3 TO

5 FT.

MON

NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 2 TO

4 FT.

MON NIGHT

NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT...

BECOMING W 5 TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

Thanks for the reply buz23. I think it's fly fishing or nothing for me, the spinning rod I have only has 6 pound test on it, not really the best for saltwater. I did find a great DIY stripping basket project on this forum, I built one this week, hopefully it will help with cast distance.

Thanks Skitter and Big Biscuit! I do have a backpack . I don't need a very big one just yet, not much to put in it so far. As for the wind tomorrow, looks like it's gonna be quite a challenge. I did purchase a T14 shooting head that will hopefully cut through some of the wind. Thanks for the replies!

the bass are on all the soco beaches right now for the next couple weeks, a big push went thru with the new moon .........there in the first wave sometimes.....but nows the time westerly been good for the flyfisher last week :D walk on head towards the light house.......waders are better than hipboots :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Biscuit View Post

Nice to meet you liftline. We were at the wrong beach. I made a move east and hooked up!!!

Great to meet you too Biscuit!  You are right, we were at the wrong beach.  I stayed until about 5, seeing only 2 fish close in.  I made two casts at them, the first was too far in front, the second was too close, scaring them out into deeper water.  I learned a lot my first day out there, not the least of which is to move someplace else if there aren't any signs of fish.. The wind was a challenge, but after a couple hours getting used to the new rod I was able to work with it. 

With surroundings like this, its hard to say I had a bad day.

But at least I caught something...