Need a new crab / ray surf reel to maul

Rate this topic

Surf Hunter

Tom, for what it's worth it's really easy to mag a reel with a ferrous spool. Just a bit of epoxy and some little mags you can buy online.

You don't say :laugh:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/479646/magging-an-avet-mxj

BTW, no need to mag this reel, it has an adjustable centrifugal brake system that I actually prefer over a magged reel anyway. ;)

Be the chimp, not the frog.....

Nice! Just commented on that post with a question. I borrowed gear one time and fished in a bad storm. The wind must have been blowing a sustained 40MPH+. I forget what reel it was but I think it had centrifugal brakes and thick oil. No problem whatsoever casting into the wind. My Mag 525 on the other hand... oi, I need to tame that thing down.

Quote:Originally Posted by Surf HunterI don't wanna grow boobies.

Nice! Just commented on that post with a question. I borrowed gear one time and fished in a bad storm. The wind must have been blowing a sustained 40MPH+. I forget what reel it was but I think it had centrifugal brakes and thick oil. No problem whatsoever casting into the wind. My Mag 525 on the other hand... oi, I need to tame that thing down.

I answered your questions all scientifical and such. :D

Hit the beach with the new set up, holy crap, it is perfect for throwing snares. I want to soup up the bearings in the reel though by removing, cleaning and hitting with a little ReelX to make them spin a bit faster. Not once did the reel even think of a backlash and I was putting force on the OTG casts.

I'm really impressed wththat 12 foot prevail rod, for 100 bucks it's an insane bargain for this kind of fishing. Nice heaver for the 6-10oz.