Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Hunter

Need a new crab / ray surf reel to maul

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

So, I want to update my Newell P229-5 that I use for chucking snares off the beach and using it for bat rays in the bay. I originally wanted a Penn 525 mag but they are no longer made. Now I'm eying the Penn Squall and the Fathom in either the 12 or 15 size.

This reel is gonna get beat to **** more then likely. I have a heaver rod for the snares (Penn Prevaill in a 4-10oz rating) and a 8.5' jig stick for the rays.

What would you buy and why? or eff Penn and get a Saltist? :D

I had a squall 15 and it casts great and holds plenty of line. I sold it because I prefer a narrower reel. I picked up a torque 12 and love the size of it. Too bad my thumb has gotten dumber since I'm so used to mag'd reels now.

If you decide on a penn, I would go with the fathom for the metal frame and the option to get slower gears from pro challenger.

You're welcome to try my torque 12 if you want to get a feel for the size and castability.

Heads up i spoke with Pro Challenger a few months back. He was stocked out of Fathom gear sets and not planning future runs. Someone hear of recent production??

My Fathom 15s arrived last week. Local shops don't carry it had to buy on faith. Look and feel great I'm anxious to use them. Will be selling my 525 Mags.

New rig in my hands yesterday, have the Fathom 15 and a Prevail rod rated for 4-10oz . this is gonna be my new "crabber special" :D The reel will double for bat rays as well in that season.