Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mbrajer

Headlamp Color

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

All,

I've used red light and it's ok, but there are certain tasks where it seems like on many headlamps the red setting is so much dimmer than the white.

Any chance anyone has used green light? If you have what are your thoughts?

-Mike

I have a pelican light. It has white,green and red. That is the bightness order as well. Green is a little brighter than the red but still preserves your night vision. FWIW I use the green more than the red. Hope this helps.

Mine headlight has a white, green and black light settings. The green is my favorite. Not overkill like the white can be but bright enough to see to tie knots, check footing, go through bag, etc. I thought the purpose of red was to see without seeing seen using a light. I don't know if green works like that.

I got me a Princeton tec headlamp. Has 4 settings. Low red and high red. Low white and OMG bright white. So far, only used both red settings which are primary light at the press of the botton.

Even with a bright white light you shouldnt be blinding anyone. A little common sense and curticy is all you need. Colored lights are to preserve your own night vision, not prevent you from blinding others. Shine your light where you need it. Not at others or at the water and you will fair well.

Yea, it was more a curiosity question than anything else. I think that's a really good point.

I've fished in the vicinity of green lamps before but I don't remember being close to someone with a green headlamp. I've definitely been blinded by white lights though and use red myself. Used to practice tying knots in the basement with the lights off and if there was moonlight I'd fish an entire night without using it.

Not to hijack thread but red light works well fr reflecting the eyes of animals like foxes that can see at night. Its funny cause they dont know their eyes reflect. Just happened the other night. The fox was like how does this human no where i am. Its pitch black out! Haha. Had to be there.

You can just paint your lamp with red nail polish or sharpie if you don't have the option of a colored lens on the light u already have. It still amazes me the amount of people who shine their lights in the water.

there has been a rash of dumbassery in regards to headlamps and vehicle headlights the last couple of weeks. Why would someone fire up their headlamp when they're fishing? I mean the ******* ocean is right in front of you, guaranteed, trust me. Why do these idiots run the beach then turn towards the ocean and fire up the brites and stay there??!! Who the hell cares what color your light is, just turn away from the water when you fire it up an never, ever for any reason shine it on the water. OUT!

there has been a rash of dumbassery in regards to headlamps and vehicle headlights the last couple of weeks. Why would someone fire up their headlamp when they're fishing? I mean the ******* ocean is right in front of you, guaranteed, trust me. Why do these idiots run the beach then turn towards the ocean and fire up the brites and stay there??!! Who the hell cares what color your light is, just turn away from the water when you fire it up an never, ever for any reason shine it on the water. OUT!

Rash, down right epidemic. I've seen so much light stooopidity lately. I think people are afraid of the dark, I can't think of any other reason.