Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Cod Fishing from shore

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

in another time frame would begin at this junction of the month . The Cod would find themselves into many of the local habitat and stick around all winter for those who were hardy enough to battle and survive the elements of hard winter fishing. Many places where one caught our elusive striped bass, were also places we could catch cod fish as the last bass left our areas as they headed on home.

Times have changed , conditions have changed and the habitat has changed and the fishing for cod from shore is almost non existent as they are from deep water.

That does not mean that one should stop fishing for them and if I was physically able to do so that is where I would be on an incoming tide along some beach front when the high tide would be any where from 9 in the evening until day break.

Fishing from shore with sea worms and or sea clams with a good friend during the dark hours is no different then fishing with a friend for bass. You get to bond with a friend and mother nature all at the same time. You can discuss the problems of life and see how you stack up against harsh weather conditions.

I know that during my many nights fishing for cod fish during the dead of winter we encountered many different types of individuals from the Good Bad and Ugly parts of what life has to offer. I am reminded of some when ever I get to Read Howie Carrs books about Mr. Bulger and Big John. Many a night at the Island was spent with an assortment of folks some fishing and some working out territorial problems. If you have not these books[3] in all you would get some prospective what it meant to survive such conditions in ones life.

We had more then one occasion where the pier would have State and Federal task force members in deep conversation with unsavory characters. Many a night I would be the only one not carrying, while out fishing behind the old fort. It sort of teaches one how to get along in life and remain neutral when possible.

That life is all behind us now, as many are serving some time for there actions in life and some still live with assumed names among the population.

Fishing saved my life and especially bass and cod fishing from shore. That is one reason I have strong feelings against any type of poaching and wrong doings that effect the sport I love.

Getting back to the fishing aspect , give it try and you just may be rewarded and have a memory to share with some one else in another time frame.

You have countless local places you can try and who knows what the fish Gods will give up for you, if you only try.

There was a hole down in RI where my uncles took me for winter cod way back in the early 60's. It was freezing, brutal fishing even when we took turns warming up in the car but it was great fun and even then I recognized that only a handful of guys did it. So sad that fishery is over.

Clambellies, that would be the right time frame that was a very good fishing for codfish from shore .

When ever we traveled to Rhody for Cod it was in the early spring . The Mansions,Beavertail along with Matunick were among some of the better places to try. The early tog fishing was also done in the same locations, if we were not in to cod here in Mass.

Clambellies, that would be the right time frame that was a very good fishing for codfish from shore .

When ever we traveled to Rhody for Cod it was in the early spring . The Mansions,Beavertail along with Matunick were among some of the better places to try. The early tog fishing was also done in the same locations, if we were not in to cod here in Mass.

Yeah, it was Matunuck and Beavertail for us also.

Chuck I will attempt to place the places where over many years of cod fishing beginning in the Late 40's to the mid 80's I did in fact catch cod from the beaches, piers, jetties along our vast coast line.

The list may not be in any order, but here goes this mornings posting.

Race Point beach Provincetown

Powder Point Bridge,Duxbury

Nauset Beach,Eastham

Coast Guard beach,Eastham

Duxbury Beach,Duxbury

Rexham beach,Marshfield.

Brant Rock , Marshfield

Scusett Beach,Sagamore

Nantasket Beach, Hull

Hull Gut, Hull

High School Hull

Cape Cod Canal, Sagamore and Bourne

Plymouth Beach, Plymouth

Nut Island Quincy

Moon Island Squantum

Long Island Boston

Humarock Beach Marshfield

Neponset River Dorchester

Gas Tanks , Dorchester

North Scituate Beach ,North Scituate

Glades ,North Scituate

North and South Rivers[inland side]

Pumping Station, South Boston[ University of Mass campus]

Sugar Bowl[Hart Island] and Castle Island, South Boston

Atlantic avenue , piers down town Boston

Electric Power Plant South Boston

Fish Piers South Boston

Charlestown Bridge Charlestown

Marblehead neck , Marblehead

Devereaux Beach, Marblehead

Point On Pines, Revere.

Revere beach Revere[Round about and beach

Deer Island Winthrop

Plum Island beach and Jetty

Merrimack River[under the over pass bridge] Newburyport

Lynn Gas tanks Lynn

Lynn / Nahant Causeway, Lynn, Nahant

Nike site Nahant

South Cape Beach Mashpee

I might have missed a couple, but as you can see, it is an extensive list. Where each place offered different challenges, depending upon where in the winter months we would fish them. We always planed to fish at least two new places to try every winter and in the majority of cases we were rewarded for our efforts and it would be used in rotation manner when ever the winter winds began to blow real hard or the snow and ice became a problem to fish. We could always find at least one location where you would find some shield from any stormy conditions, as the weather conditions =never stopped us from cod fishing, no matter how cold it was outside.

Having fished on top of frozen sea water a few times it gives one a different prospective on what you need to do to survive the weather conditions and yet still enjoy the fishing :D