Bottom fishing reports: 2014

Rate this topic

Tfisher

Took the old man fishing for Tog over the weekend on the Middlebank 7am-1pm, out of Bridgeport CT.

There were about 35 people on the boat, and half (I think) noobs.

Took about 45 min. to the first spot (a 60'wreck that the captains family put out there) and there was a private boat with a guy and his girl on it.

Now the captain is upset and says "these people got the money to buy the nice boats but don't have the brains to find their own spots. They come and circle us when we are fishing and punch the numbers. Well he's not gonna like it but we're gonna try to get on it".

As the captain is positioning the boat, this guy and his girl are reeling up fish as soon as they drop. Now everyone on the stern who see this is drooling.

He got as close as about 30 feet from their bow, we drop and all I feel is mud. Reel up, cast around as much as I can, and all I can feel is mud! So I bring it up and watch the stern. No one is catching anything and they're all dropping straight down!?! There were 2 rods still in holders that I asked the mate to move and I squeezed in, cast towards the stern of the other boat, hit bottom, tap tap, keeper. Repeat, tap tap keeper. Now EVERYONE on the stern is trying to cast but no one was getting as far as they needed. We are there for 5min. max, then the captain announces that we are moving because we can't get on the structure, and he's pissed!

Next spot, I get another keeper and then it's short after short, then nothing. Tap tap, old man reels one up! Cunner about 3inches. 3 keepers total from the spot.

Third stop is slow, 1 keeper on the boat. Tap tap, the old man finally reels one up! Tog, like 6 inches.

Fourth stop is slack tide, I get 2 keepers right off the bat and I hear a few people getting some. Tap tap, the old man reels one up! Porgy. Now he's mad and goes off in his Korean accent broken English, "Son of gun! I don't want stupid Porgy, I want Blackfish!! What I'm doin' wrong!?!?! I tell him to be patient and persistent.

Captain announces that we fish for an extra hour since it's so tough. Everyone cheers.

Last stop, the boat gets a few keepers, I get a few shorts. Tap tap, the old man reels one up! And finally got his keeper, 5 mins before we headed home.

35 fishermen, 14 keepers on the boat and we got 6 of them.

Fishing with old man is always a blast.

Took a drive up to Mass to do some tog fishing Weds.  Had great time! .. High hook was a friend in the crew with this really nice tog!!!    .. Many others were caught but slightly smaller (8-10lb range).  Next trip will be right before Thanksgiving!

Took a drive up to Mass to do some tog fishing Weds.  Had great time! .. High hook was a friend in the crew with this really nice tog!!!    .. Many others were caught but slightly smaller (8-10lb range).  Next trip will be right before Thanksgiving!

Sounds like a nice road trip.

Slacker ... The trip is always nice (whether porgy, fluke, seabass and/or tog), thanks.  I haven't done much tog fishing over the years and I honestly have to thank those on this board for countless tips on how to fish them.  Tying my own rigs etc., not a problem.  I put into practice many of the things mentioned and did very well!!! ... Most importantly, I've learned to be patient while fishing for them.  Especially trying to catch ones that have size.

Fished the Fishmonger today with Jor Murray, Dave Tats, Chris Bok, Evan, Rick,, Vinnie, Jeff Orr, John, and Capt Jerry with Mates Hunter and Nate. Fiishing deep, we caught over 10 species, including seabass, cod, ling, porgies, fluke,a searaven, a searobin, dogfish, a skate, silver eels, + tons of bergals. Made it back with a limit of seabass to 5 lbs, 15 cod to 22 lbs, a 5 gallon bucket of keeper size bergals and a 5 gallon bucket of ling. Tons of laughs, good weather and great fishing :D

[ATTACHMENT=13640]FishMongerJMurrCharter.jpg (463k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]. [ATTACHMENT=13641]FishmongerJmurr2.jpg (434k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Riff Raff

Fished with the Frances Fleet for Tog today. Had to be about 50 fisherman. With so many people, not everybody caught. Mostly towards the bow or the stern were reeling them up. There were 5 guys (that were together) right next to me on the stern with spinning reels spooled up with 50-60 pound test mono, 12oz. of lead, and tangling with each other all day, doing nothing but feeding the fish and losing rig after rig.

Average was about 4 lbs. with the keepers on the boat. We got a couple 7-8lbs. Pool fish was about 10. People that caught averaged 4 fish. I got 7 keepers and my cousin got 2. There were about 5 limits on the boat, with one guy that absolutely crushed them in the morning.

I thought I was being cursed with those guys right next to me, but maybe I got to catch the fish they didn't.

Fished the Fishmonger today with Jor Murray, Dave Tats, Chris Bok, Evan, Rick,, Vinnie, Jeff Orr, John, and Capt Jerry with Mates Hunter and Nate. Fiishing deep, we caught over 10 species, including seabass, cod, ling, porgies, fluke,a searaven, a searobin, dogfish, a skate, silver eels, + tons of bergals. Made it back with a limit of seabass to 5 lbs, 15 cod to 22 lbs, a 5 gallon bucket of keeper size bergals and a 5 gallon bucket of ling. Tons of laughs, good weather and great fishing :D

Great fishing!!

I was thinking of going on the cod/seabass boat today. But couldn't resist the Tog boat. It's like freakin' crack to me. :D

Fun bite on Saturday, had them chewing all day long. Crew of 4 would have limited out if it was next weekend.

Nothing big, but steady pick of 3-5 lbers, and some bigger ones that we rolled. Good times and laughs by all.

Was great to see a NYC boat try to set right on me and then lose an anchor in the process. I'm sure his fares really appreciated watching him try to get his anchor back for the last 45 minutes of their trip. Great way to end our day :)

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

Fun bite on Saturday, had them chewing all day long. Crew of 4 would have limited out if it was next weekend.

Nothing big, but steady pick of 3-5 lbers, and some bigger ones that we rolled. Good times and laughs by all.

Was great to see a NYC boat try to set right on me and then lose an anchor in the process. I'm sure his fares really appreciated watching him try to get his anchor back for the last 45 minutes of their trip. Great way to end our day :)

good report. they weren't really biting a few weeks back, the last time we treid to tog on the Fish Monger, but good to hear they had their feed bags on this weekend. Seems like every species did!
Riff Raff

Took a charter out on a friend's boat in Rhode Island yesterday.(Double Down)

The weather was fair, but the tog were extremely finicky. Wished they were hitting like the freight trains they are, but then where's the fun in that?;)

After the first tap from the togs, they just took their sweet time to actually commit to the crab, had to wait about 10-15 minutes for each tog to commit to the bite after the first set of taps.

Action was fast on the green crabs, but only the small fish were being caught on them. The ticket was whole white crabs for the bigger fish.

The captain, my dad, and I were the only ones getting consistent hookups, while the others wasted their day trying to figure out why they weren't getting the hits that we were.( they didn't sit tight long enough) :D

All in all a tough day, but my father and I managed to get our limits and a few more to give the others to take home. Had to work hard though.

By the way, useless information, but the Gloomis Bucara rods are aweful for blackfishing. WOW! had to use one cause I broke my seeker inshore light a few months ago. All I can say for that rod is ewwwww.

Here are some pictures of the fish of the day.1825208

How'd the Lite break, and who wrapped it? A lot of times those first round of taps are other than Blackfish.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16