Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Roach

Surfcasting-Related Smartphone Apps

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm writing a short article for my club's newsletter (Plum Island Surfcasters) on useful smartphone apps for fishing the surf, and was wondering if anyone had any to share. The ones I use/am writing about are:

• Weatherbug (local radar with mapped lightning strikes)
  • Marine Weather (tide stations, wind stations, NOAA buoys, Bing maps)
  • Magic Seaweed (surf height & predictions)
  • USA Navionics (depth contours)
  • Sundroid (sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset & moon phase)

I'd love to hear about your favorites, and why you might prefer one over another if they are similar.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

I use Sail Flow and Windfinder for wind predictions. Marine weather for coastal conditions. Tides for tides. USA Navionics for coastal and sea depths and navigation. Google Earth for searching new fishing locations. Weather Underground for weather. Radar Express for weather radar.

Good call on Google Earth for scouting -- forgot all about that. I like Bing Maps for this as well, because some spots have "birds eye" views, which are aerial photos offering more detail; also the satellite photo and aerial photo might have been taken at different tide stages, giving you a better overall look.

I use FishHead for my tide, moon, wind info. Really like it.

I was going to download it for comparison against Navionics, but I see it's $6.99. Can you (or anyone) offer an opinion of how FishHead compares to Navionics?

Eric

Check out Windfinder. It gives you Wind Direction by arrow; Wind speed with maximum; Air Temperature with barometric data; Weather symbol; Wave heights, direction and interrvals; and finally Tide data height, status, low and high tide times. All of this is on a single screen, which is really convenient.