Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Bridge facts and some of the

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

reasons it takes as long as it does to paint the Bourne and Sagamore bridges.

It takes specialized painters to do the work that are trained in occupational safety and environmental compliance. They also need to be certified bridge climbers. The field of painters are small and to do a project such as the Sagamore , they recruit painters from all over the country to do the work.

Each bridge will be repainted about every 10 years , although they are attempting to do a paint job that lasts 15./

After the prep work they get a good primer and this fact is astounding, that they then apply four coats of paint to all of the metal.

Now you have idea as to why it seems that the painting takes as long as it does.

After they complete the middle section from a on site building of a 135 foot lift to get to the upper reaches of the bridge this project will be done.hopefully by the end of December. [weather permitting]

So the next time you sit in traffic waiting to get across, just think that the guys doing the job are risking there lives to do the job for $50 to $60 an hour and when the weather reaches dangerous conditions no one will be climbing to do any painting.

ive worked smoke stacks water towers and bridges back when i was young blasting and painting , you were subjected to lead dust all the time the type of paint we used then was called Imron it was a very hard and long lasting paint ! Was nasty work but paid well i worked for a co . coast to coast construction but we hired lots of guys from the hall to do large jobs !

I work in building homes... not my whole life ,but its all I know how to do.Built many houses on the coast, starting 12 to 15 feet up on a concrete foundation out of level and square.January and February suck .those guy get my credit