Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnycakes

the cube. I don't get it.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What is the benefit of the cube bag design? They are popular with wetsuiters but with the waves hitting your body ,I find a bag that is narrow catches less water . A cube would grab alot of water in comparision. Am I missing something?

I have a cube designed bag. I don't wetsuit with it but it has its place. I prefer plug bags with the additional pouch underneath the main flap to bring Sluggos and riggies. However there are certain spots that I don't need them and just fill up the bag with plugs. Oh yeah, a custom made eel jug fits very nicely inside my cube bag as well. While you can just head out there with with the eel jug, putting the jug inside of the cube bag adds an extra sense of security. I guess what it all comes down to is personal preference.

Cakes, I suspect you don;t wear the bag on your belt, correct? I find that a bag that isn't as wide works better on a belt (as opposed to a shoulder strap). The width of a 4 tube straight configuration will either have to bend to conform to the shape of your body, or you will not be able to tighten the belt as much. It's a minor issue but for some people it makes a difference. I also find a 4 tube cube is easier to slide along the belt to get access and/or get it out of the way than a 4 tube straight config (again, this is when wearing them just on the belt)

John I have been using a belt bag for a few years now. I never saw a cube on a belt. Always on the shoulder. Even when its tucked behind you the wieigh of the bag is further from your body. They are popular enough. There must be some benifit

Johnny , I have been trying a aquaskinz rogue this season , before I used a two tube aqua and a small 3 tube bronco ,all belt mounted . At times I found it hard to see the plugs in the small bag to pick out . I retubed the rogue so it has 2 3" tubes in back and the 3 tube insert from the bronco in the front ,this has made seeing plugs easier to pick out as they are further out from my waist now .

I did find I had to tighten my surf belt as the heavier weight bag seemed to ride low .

Having one bag on belt instead of two makes me a little more flexible when bending to release fish or climb rocks.

Johnny , I have been trying a aquaskinz rogue this season , before I used a two tube aqua and a small 3 tube bronco ,all belt mounted . At times I found it hard to see the plugs in the small bag to pick out . I retubed the rogue so it has 2 3" tubes in back and the 3 tube insert from the bronco in the front ,this has made seeing plugs easier to pick out as they are further out from my waist now .

I did find I had to tighten my surf belt as the heavier weight bag seemed to ride low .

Having one bag on belt instead of two makes me a little more flexible when bending to release fish or climb rocks.

Check into a surf harness. Grear Up and False bar make( or made ) them. Shoulder supports allow you to losen the belt and transfrs the wieght to your shoulders and back . huge help.

I love it for wearing on the belt, wetsuit or wader. Never noticed it catching waves, although I do tend to slide it around to the back more when not accessing it.

Purpose is when you want more than 2-3 tubes, but not 6 which get cumbersome on belt (but can be done).

One specific advantage I like is two of the tubes are always further away from your body. I'll put pencil/popper retired at sunset, large plugs, anything I might think I'd use less next to the body. Things I think I might swap in and out more frequently go in the two tubes further away from the body where you have more clearance to get in/out without snagging yourself. Mine's a Commando.