Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twistedfish

Line test vs distance

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

For throwing 8& bait, what is the typically casting distance between 15, 20, 25 and 30 pound test mono? I've search and search and can only find discussions with braid.

Thank You for the help.

For throwing 8& bait, what is the typically casting distance between 15, 20, 25 and 30 pound test mono? I've search and search and can only find discussions with braid.

Thank You for the help.

too many variables to answer that. Rod, rod length, reel, ability of the guy who is throwing it. At least that's how I see it.

Line casting distance will be greatly affected by the rod and reel matchup.

If the spool diameter is too large, say double the size of the first guide on the rod, the line will be coiling off the spool and hitting the guide BEFORE going through it.

If the spool size and guide size are closer in size, the line will generally pass through the first guide and all subsequent guides (in decreasing size) and experience much less resistence, thus resulting in a longer cast.

The weight of the lure in conjunction to the line test will also play a part, but if the spool / guide ratio is good it will not be as much a factor as if the spool was too big for the rod. The 1-3 oz. lure fished with 20-30 lb. test line will cast pretty far, relatively as far as a 1/4 oz. lure fished on 6-10 lb. test line can be cast.

I have seen people with improperly matched rods & reels trying to cast as far as possible and getting frustrated when they fail to reach their target distance, only to have them ask me how I can cast a 1/4 oz. Kastmaster over 70 feet.

Then I explain the reel to guide ratio thing and the light goes on in their head and they understand.

Keep in mind I was just like they were years ago until I read somewhere about having a "balanced rod and reel" setup.

At first I didn't understand what it meant, but once it became clear I realized I was basically killing myself by "overcasting" to try to get better distance.

With a properly balanced rig you can cast unbelievably far with much less effort, thus your arms, shoulders and back don't pay the price in the end!

FishermanTim hit the nail on the head about matching the rod and reel. Also "pound test" has nothing to do with casting distance really, it is the line diameter. You will cast different brands of mono further because they are the same pound test but thinner.