Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tile Guy

Recommendation for a quality head lamp

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a favorite headlamp they can recommend ? Don't want to break the bank but also want a comfortable lamp that's built well. Been through way too many cheapos.

Thank - Kurt

Uk vizion lasted me exactly 3 uses. I mailed it back to them October 17th and I still have not heard or received an email response. I'm guessing having bought 4 of the 7-12$ rayovac lights tim s used to sell in the online store would have been a better purchase.

went through several neck and headlamps. actually liked the cheap Ray-O-Vac headlamps the most but the head bands kept stetching and lamp swivels kept wearing out. the wife gave me an LED cap that I am currently using, and i think this is my fav so far. it has foward lights in the front of the brim and lights under the brim (white and red) that look down for tying knots and swaping plugs. it seems brighter than the other LED caps ive had, but i do keep fresh batteries in it as much as possible. After 2 seasons im still liking it.

Tile Guy: Will the lamp see a lot of saltwater dunking/immersion?

Eric it's a very good possibility it may. Like I said , I refuse to buy another cheapo but really don't want to spend more than $60 -$75

Sidewinder Compact II. Takes almost any battery. Red, blue, white and infrared (not really useful for fishing :)). Starts on lowest brightness level. The only downside is expensive.

Eric it's a very good possibility it may. Like I said , I refuse to buy another cheapo but really don't want to spend more than $60 -$75

I use the Princeton Tec Quad Tactical (silly name). I wetsuit so it sees a lot of saltwater.

Here's my experience with the pros & cons:

Cons

Water intrusion -- out of the box this can be iffy. Problems can be eliminated with some additional measures.

Pros

• Water intrusion: If you tightly screw down the battery compartment, and put a bead of silicone around the rubber seal on the outside, you can keep all water out -- even in heavy surf and submersion.
  • It has a red lens, so light always comes on red when I want it to rather than cycling through white light modes to get there.
  • It starts on low beam, so it gives just enough red light to change lures; but with lens up and on full power it's bright enough for anything.

It retails around $35.00 -- that's a pro or a con, depending on your budget.

I average one every season or two, but not because they burn out; since taking extra measures to seal the battery compartment whenever new batteries go in, I only lose them to sneaky waves that knock them off my head.