SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,471 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, Hokahey said:

Got a few perch today 12.5&13.5 

one on a crocodile the other on a yozuri 4.5 in hydro minnow 

E77B3A8E-E053-4FD5-B318-3F94FC106853.jpeg

Nice!  See'n how my striper efforts are going unrewarded, I may have to refocus.:banghd:

On 5/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, cityevader said:

I'm a nosy pixel peeper....what's that hanging below the table top?

Nice fish too!

CArry strap for the table. Those tables makes great desks I'm typing on one now!

>> Decent cutthroat action this weekend. The weather was way to bright and sunny for my liking. SF

nice fish. I know what you mean about the sun. I much prefer a foggy day for fishing. Today I punded the surf for about 2 hours in the bright sun, for 2 small perch hooked, and just as I was taking off my waders, a huge fog bank rolled in... sigh. Tide window was closing by then anyway. 

Nice cloudy rainy weekend. Perfect for fishing. Pretty crazy cutthroat action yesterday with fish just blitzing fry for about 5 hours straight.

Nothing great size wise but pretty much non stop action.

SF

F4688A8E-2151-4F8C-B359-89F9AB214A27.jpeg

91982EE3-2E2D-44C7-9E6B-2C2C1B8431FB.jpeg

04189439-423B-41C1-A493-DC8AB680F624.jpeg

80B00F0F-B27F-4C62-A71F-B100C0E1AA68.jpeg

7ADD9642-2325-4164-8E30-A46D3C504328.jpeg

E6C8D239-8A55-4514-B945-CA5FB2073C5B.jpeg

I just got back from a weeks trip to Crystal Pier Cottages in Pacific Beach (San Diego)... I fished the surf 6 days and caught from 2 to 20 BSP every day... 1- lonely WSP ... Nothing huge, but up to about 12"... My grandson got off work and joined me on the last day, for 3-BSP and 2- baby leopard sharks... Fun trip...

jk8nWRZ.jpg

Q4JMILL.jpg

rJyEcdT.jpg

A5WPEOj.jpg

My Grandson's size 11-1/2 foot...

eni9xOU.jpg

A couple of vids off the pier of spot fin croakers and corbina, that just, absolutely, hated my bait off of the sand..

Butch

18 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

I just got back from a weeks trip to Crystal Pier Cottages in Pacific Beach (San Diego)... I fished the surf 6 days and caught from 2 to 20 BSP every day... 1- lonely WSP ... Nothing huge, but up to about 12"... My grandson got off work and joined me on the last day, for 3-BSP and 2- baby leopard sharks... Fun trip...

jk8nWRZ.jpg

Q4JMILL.jpg

rJyEcdT.jpg

A5WPEOj.jpg

My Grandson's size 11-1/2 foot...

eni9xOU.jpg

A couple of vids off the pier of spot fin croakers and corbina, that just, absolutely, hated my bait off of the sand..

Butch

Love the photos! Sounds like a great trip!

By the way, sorry for the ignorance here, what exactly are those "pier critters"? Did you catch any of them?

Thanks for posting. Your posts and reports always give me hope for my SoCal future... you know what I mean.

Best regards!

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Love the photos! Sounds like a great trip!

By the way, sorry for the ignorance here, what exactly are those "pier critters"? Did you catch any of them?

Thanks for posting. Your posts and reports always give me hope for my SoCal future... you know what I mean.

Best regards!

JD

Jim…. The “critters” were mostly spot fin croakers and some corbina… if you look close, you can see the dark spot around the lighter colored pectoral fin in some of the fish.. spot fin croakers.. The corbina are narrower fish with darker pectoral fins…. These are two of my favorite fish to chase after in our surf…. I hope you can get as much enjoyment fishing for them as I do…

Butch

Edited by Midnightpass

7 hours ago, plinker said:

Landed this 32" fish about 2hrs ago with a salmon rod. Took a good 5 minutes.

32 inch.jpg

Hey Plinker:  Did U win the Pacifica MTF Tournament?  

No, I didn't enter. In fact, I only walked down to the beach to root for my buddy who was competing. He got skunked.

The winner was 27". I coulda used the 3K.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had an hour after work today to plug as I wanted to put some more time with my new Century 9'6" Weapon with my Van Staal VR 75 and I nailed this 25" Striper on a Calissa.  That was a blast as he had a several strong bursts where he spooled line out :)

Thank you Oscar!  I love the feel of those two Century rods!

25 inch striper June on the surf June6.jpg

25 inch striper on the surf June.jpg

Inside his belly there were 2 six to seven inch long minnows and a large sand crab.

Edited by zudo

Caught my first legal striper this week, measured in at about 31".  Caught it at sunset on a Nuclear Pink Calissa FM110.  Took a couple of runs before coming in close.  It was probably 10-15' away from me for a solid 3 minutes trying to bulldog its way back out through breaking waves, fun fight.  Finally got its head turned towards the beach, and surfed it in on a wave.  Definitely the best fish I've ever caught out of the surf.

This was a really meaningful fish for me.  I started surf fishing a year ago (almost on the dot) and I feel like this fish is the result of a lot of the knowledge I've accumulated over the last year.  I was able to put myself in the right place, at the right time, during the right part of the year, with the right bait, and get it into the strike zone.  Even just having a grasp on simple mechanics like understanding how to play a fish in the surf, how to use the waves against it, or how to land a big fish in the surf was crucial in this case.  More-so than anything, the search for this fish has forced me to markedly improve my fundamentals, and skillset in the surf.  To me, it feels like this was the final exam for my first year, and I somehow passed.  I'm excited to see what the rest of this year has in store.  Cheers!

IMG_1956.JPG

Great fish!  I can see your smile in the photo ;) I was all alone when I caught my striper this week so I could not get a shot of me holding the fish,  That is a great photo to be proud of.  We caught our stripers on the same lure, although in my opinion any minnow looking lure is what they were hungry for as I found minnows that looked just like the Calissa in his belly....