SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,419 posts in this topic

Been getting some decent surf perch on the fly, most of them right around sunrise. My hot head flies I call Surf Burgers. Some are brown or red but that orange head seems to be the trigger. 

IMG_20220126_094623_528.jpg

IMG_20220126_095532_797.jpg

IMG_20220123_103511_198.jpg

IMG_20220115_181614_261.jpg

My numbers are not improving much but at least the quality is..... Biggest I got today was a pinch over 14"................. A ton of fun on my new perch rod which I am loving....

On 1/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Been getting some decent surf perch on the fly, most of them right around sunrise. My hot head flies I call Surf Burgers. Some are brown or red but that orange head seems to be the trigger. 

IMG_20220126_094623_528.jpg

IMG_20220126_095532_797.jpg

IMG_20220123_103511_198.jpg

IMG_20220115_181614_261.jpg

Your photos are beautiful. Love the orange wooly bugger. What is that head made out of? Is it weighted, lead?

8 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

My numbers are not improving much but at least the quality is..... Biggest I got today was a pinch over 14"................. A ton of fun on my new perch rod which I am loving....

Given the choice, I'd rather catch a few slabs than a handful of dinks. 14" from what I've seen is most def a slab. Glad you're enjoying the new rod. Good gear defiantly make the experience more enjoyable. I looked up those rods. I was surprised at how expensive they are. Seems like it's worth it. It'll be interesting to hear how it handles an unexpected larger bycatch, e.g. a nice Hali, striper or drum.

JD

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Your photos are beautiful. Love the orange wooly bugger. What is that head made out of? Is it weighted, lead?

Given the choice, I'd rather catch a few slabs than a handful of dinks. 14" from what I've seen is most def a slab. Glad you're enjoying the new rod. Good gear defiantly make the experience more enjoyable. I looked up those rods. I was surprised at how expensive they are. Seems like it's worth it. It'll be interesting to hear how it handles an unexpected larger bycatch, e.g. a nice Hali, striper or drum.

JD

JD

YES!!!!!   those Century rods are expensive as hell................But I got somewhat lucky on the price as a friend of mine & I each bought one so we got a little break for buying 2..... There was also some kind of sale going on.... Kind of like a Black Friday thing & we also got free shipping..............The fellow who built them for us also took good care of us.   But no matter how you slice it they are expensive.   I have 3 Century rods & they have all performed beyond my expectations... .

15 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Thats a big one Mike! Gad you're getting out there. I use bigger hooks to keep most of the dinks off. I catch fewer fish but I waste less time torturing our future slabs and I get less slimy. 

6 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks. Its a Hareline Dubbin plummeting tungsten, fluoro orange. I use an extra long hook in size 2 or 4 for my Surf Burgers. They dull quickly in the beach environment, so I keep a file or stone handy. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:44 PM, Mike Fixter said:

Looking forward to checking 'er out before I roll a Loomis GWR 901S

I wonder how that Loomis will feel "in hand"   I see the specs show extra fast action.............not my favorite for a perch rod.............But who knows?..............  it might turn out to be a fantastic perch/schoolie rod..... I like the weights its rated for.............Mike

3 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

I wonder how that Loomis will feel "in hand"   I see the specs show extra fast action.............not my favorite for a perch rod.............But who knows?..............  it might turn out to be a fantastic perch/schoolie rod..... I like the weights its rated for.............Mike

My general preference is for a more moderate action, too, but who knows.....  Gonna primarily use it to toss plastics on 3/8-1/2 jig heads w/ 6 lb braid.  Seems that quite a few more serious jig fishermen than I actually prefer faster actions for jig fishing.  We'll see.