SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,235 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, moocks said:

It's funny and maybe I have never thought about it because so many fish with broken lines are really broken up. But on this one because there is only one small section you can see that it appears that an arrowhead section just slipped down a bit. If you were to shove it back up it would fit perfectly. Makes you wonder the mechanics behind this phenomenon

striperzz.png

Yes I agree, that is interesting. Also, hybrids pretty much all have broken lines.

JD

Ha, that jogged a memory...

My mom, whom is the straightest arrow there is...way back when children could carry pocket knives, borrowed mine in the grocery store to cut a small triangle from a watermelon to sample it, return the triangle, and kept walking. :eek:

14 hours ago, Albycor said:

249C8299-57BF-41EA-98DD-803F6918B9F4.jpeg

Very NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  one of those rare days with gorgeous conditions.............As for fighting those things I think after the first 15 minutes it's about as much fun as digging a ditch..................Glad you scored...... Mike

scan0036.jpg

17 hours ago, Albycor said:

249C8299-57BF-41EA-98DD-803F6918B9F4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Very NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  one of those rare days with gorgeous conditions.............As for fighting those things I think after the first 15 minutes it's about as much fun as digging a ditch..................Glad you scored...... Mike

scan0036.jpg

Very cool. Beauty of a fish.

I’ve heard SoCal has good tuna fishing.

I was wondering what kind of shape and back one needs to land one of those.

Done one need to be young and fit to not get beat up by those things?

JD

6 hours ago, Albycor said:

Tag teamed the fish.  3 of em took turns.  2 geezers and my son.  Makes things easier!

Gotta use the rail on anything bigger.

Thanks,

For using the rail, does that require a special rod design? How much easier does it make it?

This if from an out of shape geezer who has never caught a tuna but wants to asking. To be honest, I've always been intimidated by the fight and the cost.

Moving to SoCal next year, reconsidering.

JD

This might help.  Rail rods typically have a longer fore grip to help cushion the load.  Isn’t an absolute.  I use regular rods, just gotta be careful.  I’ve never went for the monsters.  Not sure I could handle it.  Age has caught up to me.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, Mike Fixter said:

scan0036.jpg

Nice. Conway Twitty has stepped up his game.

6 hours ago, Albycor said:

This might help.  Rail rods typically have a longer fore grip to help cushion the load.  Isn’t an absolute.  I use regular rods, just gotta be careful.  I’ve never went for the monsters.  Not sure I could handle it.  Age has caught up to me.

Wow,

Thanks for that.

He said they’re fighting 200 lb for 2 to 2 1/2 hours!

That sounds way more like work than fun.

JD

28 mins ago, Albycor said:

My buddy lost one last week after 7 hours.  Had it next to the boat when it ran under and broke the line.  

OMG, 

I might have tossed the outfit on in the water and taken up horse shoes.

Makes fishing for bluegills sound more appealing.

JD