SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,104 posts in this topic

Got a 24" and a 28" fish this morning right as the tide bottomed out. There were more people out fishing early, so I can imagine that tomorrow morning will be a zoo.

Thanks to the random surf fisherman that took my pic!

28in 06102021 630am blurred.jpg

I was fishing the Stanislaus River this weekend for the first time in 35 years.

My goodness had i forgotten how enjoyable it is! The skills needed to cast to a very precise spot, the pendulum drifting while retrieving to hit a very precise spot, and the infinite variables involved is a very rewarding challenge!

I've only ever caught Rainbows and one Brook trout as a kid, so was shocked to catch a bizarrely, gorgeously spotted variety. (Looked it up later as Brown trout)

Previously no fish were ever caught on lures which is a shame because my favorite thing is perusing the lure aisle, acquiring all different kinds, gazing at them while arranging and rearranging them in/out of the tackle box/fishing bag...salmon eggs, bread, and cheese was all that worked as a kid.

This time i used a 40yr old 1/10oz Kastmaster and was amazed to find it worked! Seeing it flutter in the clear water gave me a better idea of how to retrieve it in the ocean. (It sure does look like a wounded fish!)

I've now packed up all sorts of lures to see how they actually move in the water to hopefully become a better salt fisherman, because the strike on a lure is 1000% more satisfying than a bait strike!

26 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Green Sunfish?.. Nice colors...

Butch

I believe so, but not super up on my type of panfish. This is from Minnesota.

Fun watching them attack the popper.

SF

22 hours ago, cityevader said:

I was fishing the Stanislaus River this weekend for the first time in 35 years.

My goodness had i forgotten how enjoyable it is! The skills needed to cast to a very precise spot, the pendulum drifting while retrieving to hit a very precise spot, and the infinite variables involved is a very rewarding challenge!

I've only ever caught Rainbows and one Brook trout as a kid, so was shocked to catch a bizarrely, gorgeously spotted variety. (Looked it up later as Brown trout)

Previously no fish were ever caught on lures which is a shame because my favorite thing is perusing the lure aisle, acquiring all different kinds, gazing at them while arranging and rearranging them in/out of the tackle box/fishing bag...salmon eggs, bread, and cheese was all that worked as a kid.

This time i used a 40yr old 1/10oz Kastmaster and was amazed to find it worked! Seeing it flutter in the clear water gave me a better idea of how to retrieve it in the ocean. (It sure does look like a wounded fish!)

I've now packed up all sorts of lures to see how they actually move in the water to hopefully become a better salt fisherman, because the strike on a lure is 1000% more satisfying than a bait strike!

I believe they used to stock it with Browns but have since stopped due to them threatening an endangered amphibian (I forgot what kind). Now I believe it's just Rainbows but you can still find Browns. I'm speaking of the more upriver parts, like north / middle / south / clark forks.

I guess it's middle... near Strawberry.

I caught some tiny ones so i assume they are breeding. Stocked fish don't normally breed - i read that somewhere.

Browns sure are pretty! They seem to fight better than Rainbows (from memory 35 years ago.)

Two weekends from now i'll go without my boy and explore.

3 hours ago, Stonefish said:

I believe so, but not super up on my type of panfish. This is from Minnesota.

Fun watching them attack the popper.

SF

Pumpkin seed?