SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,154 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

I always thought California was loaded with game fish? Are surf perch and stripers all you guys get from the surf?

That's about all I get except for the odd jack smelt or cabezon. Depends on where you are. Some areas have halibut -- other members would know more than me. 

Last weekend headed up to the mountains again with the kid and some friends. We release most of the fish we catch especially since these are not your hatchery stockers, but do keep a couple for the grill, especially smoked and made into cream cheese trout mousse with crackers. Killed the baby diamond back just outside the tent, usually let them be, but this one was too close for comfort, we did end up seeing several other young ones, scary cause they don't have rattles to warn with and no control of their venom when they bite from what I have read. Good weekend and glad our lures and bait were the only things that got bit! 

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

31 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Last weekend headed up to the mountains again with the kid and some friends. We release most of the fish we catch especially since these are not your hatchery stockers, but do keep a couple for the grill, especially smoked and made into cream cheese trout mousse with crackers. Killed the baby diamond back just outside the tent, usually let them be, but this one was too close for comfort, we did end up seeing several other young ones, scary cause they don't have rattles to warn with and no control of their venom when they bite from what I have read. Good weekend and glad our lures and bait were the only things that got bit! 

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

So many positive things going on here.  Most of all your kid having irreplaceable memories with Pops.  Smoked trout mousse.........yum.

Your son has no lack of decent fishing equipment to start out on.  :)  Is that an SB500 on a Loomis?

1 hour ago, bass11 said:

Your son has no lack of decent fishing equipment to start out on.  :)  Is that an SB500 on a Loomis?

He and I both wish! More like a Shakespeare WSS (Wild Series Spinning) Trout Ultra Lite paired with a Shakespeare Sigma 200A reel (MSRP $49.99) but the kid does have plenty of custom rods and high end stuff for when he is ready. For now will stick will combos under $50 and unbreakable Ugly stiks till then. Give a kid a Faberge Egg and tell them to be careful and shatter it in seconds, hand them a plain old chicken egg and tell them have at it and they end up handing it down to their children.  

7 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

hey Lineside, that smoked trout looks yummy. What's your recipe? Is it butterflied by splitting it down the backbone?

Uncle Stu here is a link to a blog site by CA resident blogger and cook book author Hank Shaw. I love his site for wild game recipes and am one of his fans, own his cook books, even met him a few times at book signings and wild game dinners. Real nice guy and avid outdoorsman. This link will show you how to butterfly a trout and if you search BBQd or smoked trout on there, is close to the recipe I use. Key is to only brine a few hours, as trout has very little to zero fat or oils and smoke at as low a temp as possible again only a few hours as they dry out fast, I also like brushing the meat with a little olive oil or other oil (black truffle oil is killer) right before smoking as the oil helps keep the meat moist and with the smoke adhering to the meat better https://honest-food.net/how-to-butterfly-fish/ 

If I am violating the rules by posting the link on here, just google honest-food.net. and use the search on the blog. 

57 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Looks like life is good in the Sound, Stoney!

Thanks Stu.

Things have picked up recently.

Had a nice multi species day today on the smelt and chum fry eaters.

SF

On 4/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, SacoStriperFisha said:

I always thought California was loaded with game fish? Are surf perch and stripers all you guys get from the surf?

You add California halibut, ling cod, and on rare occasions salmon from the beach here in NorCal. SoCal is a completely different set of fish. 

Caught this monster and his slightly bigger brother on the outgoing this morning.

D7719DFC-EBE0-4347-B3A8-40422B0714E5.jpeg

Saw someone catch and keep a Sturgeon off the beach on Sunday morning. Big swell and wind didn't slow that guy down. Guessing the fish was legal, but didn't want to chew on a knuckle sandwich just to find out.