SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,120 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, weatherguy777 said:

I am not sure what you might be throwing in the surf if you consider the 120 heavy? I believe 120 is the length in mm not the weight. I think it weighs1 1/8 oz? To me that is light. I suppose it depends on your gear.

yeah, I know 120 is the length. and yes it does depend on your gear. around here, the standard surf plug is a Luckycraft Flashminnow 110 which only weighs 5/8 oz. This aint Montauk. We get mostly surf perch and a few schoolies each summer. My spin rod is a 10' ultralight designed for steelhead. So... anything over an ounce is "relatively" heavy to me. Looking forward to trying the Coltsniper. 

First time out this year for stripers.so I took my perch/schoolie rod.  (6 lb. braid.)  Looks like schoolies are starting to show.  Mostly dinks, but a couple to 7-8 lb.  Was nice to get out, finally.

We got into some dinks today too, tiny ones, about 6 between us on ultralight gear, and lots of perch. Fun day in the suds. I gave the striperettes a stern lecture about eating a LOT and getting bigger ASAP. 

19 hours ago, bass11 said:

First time out this year for stripers.so I took my perch/schoolie rod.  (6 lb. braid.)  Looks like schoolies are starting to show.  Mostly dinks, but a couple to 7-8 lb.  Was nice to get out, finally.

A "couple 7 - 8 lbs"...................... what the hell did you do pack 4 lbs of sand in their gut?  :)

30 mins ago, cityevader said:

My biggest Striper ever (from a lake though) was only 22"....what's a guess for the weight of it?

Looks like about 6 lb? Chart:

5 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

A "couple 7 - 8 lbs"...................... what the hell did you do pack 4 lbs of sand in their gut?  :)

Nah.  Just guessing.  They were around 27 and 29 inches.

1 hour ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

I always thought California was loaded with game fish? Are surf perch and stripers all you guys get from the surf?

All i can catch are sand crabs...and at low tide, hermit crabs. Oh, caught a baby octopus on washed up kelp once.

4 hours ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

I always thought California was loaded with game fish? Are surf perch and stripers all you guys get from the surf?

No its everybody in California is just loaded. Either on wacky tobaccy or guns n ammo, but not loaded with game fish?  Now Fish and Game daunting, idiotic, and confusing regulations, yeah we got that by the ton!