SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,090 posts in this topic

Been a tough year for perch at the beach I like to fish normally it produces nice red tails. I was able to land a couple of barred fatties ... all fish released for your guys to catch.

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

Very Nice Skkeeter......  Ling Cod from shore is a real treat.....  I recently made a Red tail perch safari  up in your neck of the woods & north of there all the way up to Ferndale.....  Did okay on the perch but had to really fish hard & put my time in for the bigger fish.. I also found some spots I could cast from shore into rocky areas that would most likely produce some nice black rockfish & other assorted reef fish.....I'm sure the key  is a calm ocean, correct tides & decent water clarity.....  Mike

17 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

Very Nice Skkeeter......  Ling Cod from shore is a real treat.....  I recently made a Red tail perch safari  up in your neck of the woods & north of there all the way up to Ferndale.....  Did okay on the perch but had to really fish hard & put my time in for the bigger fish.. I also found some spots I could cast from shore into rocky areas that would most likely produce some nice black rockfish & other assorted reef fish.....I'm sure the key  is a calm ocean, correct tides & decent water clarity.....  Mike

Your spot on in your assessment, and thanks!

17 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Now that sounds great, how far up the coast does one need to go to find these delicious beauties?

10 hours ago, MultiCast said:

so so day 

two.jpg

So so? You could have done much worse..... I certainly have.

That's a pretty good combo.

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, MultiCast said:

To show what i caught today. It was a very slow day. put in about 5 hours of work and came up with this beauty.

lbarred.JPG

That is a beauty. What a chub! Way to be a the skunk!

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Post spawn searun cutt. Probably dropped back to the salt in the past few weeks.

I hope I get to encounter her again come September after having four months to plump up and stuff her face with chum fry and other baitfish.

Even as thin as she is still put on a nice show with multiple jumps.

SF

C33C800E-135B-4F5B-8DEF-37C83F14A805.jpeg

6162E60B-D78C-4825-A387-144DE42BC13D.jpeg

Got my first striper of the year yesterday. Something in the range of 30”

Sorry for no picture, I was out on a sandbar in about 2’ of water. 

1 hour ago, Alferd Packer said:

Got my first striper of the year yesterday. Something in the range of 30”

Sorry for no picture, I was out on a sandbar in about 2’ of water. 

Nice! We believe you. What did it hit?

5 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Nice! We believe you. What did it hit?

I sound like a broken record since I’ve mentioned the lure way too often as it is. 120 Shimano coltsniper sinking stickbait, pink over bone. I’ll attach a picture when I get home. 

24 mins ago, Alferd Packer said:

I sound like a broken record since I’ve mentioned the lure way too often as it is. 120 Shimano coltsniper sinking stickbait, pink over bone. I’ll attach a picture when I get home. 

I must have missed all of your glowing reviews. Just looking online--those things are relatively heavy--do they cast a mile? And being sinkers--don't they hit bottom in the surf zone? I assume you find them more effective than the SP Minnow? Favorite colors?

2 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

I must have missed all of your glowing reviews. Just looking online--those things are relatively heavy--do they cast a mile? And being sinkers--don't they hit bottom in the surf zone? I assume you find them more effective than the SP Minnow? Favorite colors?

Pictured is what I used yesterday. I also like sardine. 

Yes, it is pretty heavy for its size and it casts great. It also sinks fairly quickly but it is still far lighter than a metal jig of the same size. It’s pretty versatile, I can pause and let it sink to the bottom and pop it. Medium slow retrieve for near the bottom or a bit faster with the rod tip high to keep it just under the surface. 

Change out the hooks. You will note the tail hook is pretty mangled after its first fish. 

I’ve also caught a number of halibut with them and they are small enough that surf perch will hit them as well. 

4A7ACA92-26CB-4D2E-8487-E2FE674E936D.jpeg

Edited by Alferd Packer

On 4/25/2021 at 2:58 PM, Uncle Stu said:

I am not sure what you might be throwing in the surf if you consider the 120 heavy? I believe 120 is the length in mm not the weight. I think it weighs1 1/8 oz? To me that is light. I suppose it depends on your gear.

Edited by weatherguy777