SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,160 posts in this topic

After a long dry spell,, I finally got a bite, and a decent one too! A 12" fatty..

Mike, it took that paddle tail that you gave me which I had only tried once prior.

It was on my grandfather's old 5.5' trout rod that was rebuilt and its first time out. It hasn't seen water in at least 40 years. That thing is fun casting up close where I fish, and with the right snap of the wrist casts surprisingly far. Nice!20210205_191127.jpg.69a3ddcc8fb56d6a8c98bf089493c807.jpg

nice one Mr. City! Since you're on a learning quest about perch... this is an example of the solunar calendar working in your favor. Most of it is crap (IMHO) but when the moon and the sun rise at the same time, as they did this week... I always try to be there at the crack of dawn.

2 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

PB for the season this morning. 14" female on Zman Crusteaz motor oil. 

IMG_20210212_091113_149.jpg

Nice Going Stu.  Wow a 14" Red Tail, I bet it flet like a baby striper. 

I caught a 14" trout last week on the beach, and almost didn't even think I'd even hooked anything...an 8" Perch fights harder!

Dunno if these gill parasites were affecting it: 

20210123_173034.jpg.ffb3b1cc8fe5268610a70d74168a9cbd.jpg

13 hours ago, cityevader said:

I caught a 14" trout last week on the beach, and almost didn't even think I'd even hooked anything...an 8" Perch fights harder!

Dunno if these gill parasites were affecting it: 

20210123_173034.jpg.ffb3b1cc8fe5268610a70d74168a9cbd.jpg

Interesting.

What kind of trout? What county?

JD

15 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

PB for the season this morning. 14" female on Zman Crusteaz motor oil. 

IMG_20210212_091113_149.jpg

That's a beauty. You've been hitting the pretty good man! Nice work!!

Do you find those Zman Crusteaz work better than Crack?

JD

55 mins ago, jjdbike said:

That's a beauty. You've been hitting the pretty good man! Nice work!!

Do you find those Zman Crusteaz work better than Crack?

JD

I can't say because I've never tried Crack (I'm a cannabis guy). No but seriously... tell me about it, sounds like I need to know. 

Last couple years, Crusteaz have become my favorite perch bait. I still carry grubs and Big Gulp but I don't use them as often as Crusteaz. lately i've been pushing the hook all the way through so it trails behind, outside the bait. seems to help if i put on a bit of ProCure shrimp scent. 

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Interesting.

What kind of trout? What county?

JD

I would assume steelhead (santa cruz county)  but I never carry my phone while fishing... otherwise I'd post a photograph of my PB smallest Perch at 3" on a 2" sandworm. :)

6 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

I can't say because I've never tried Crack (I'm a cannabis guy). No but seriously... tell me about it, sounds like I need to know. 

Last couple years, Crusteaz have become my favorite perch bait. I still carry grubs and Big Gulp but I don't use them as often as Crusteaz. lately i've been pushing the hook all the way through so it trails behind, outside the bait. seems to help if i put on a bit of ProCure shrimp scent. 

Thanks for the tips Stu,

By crack, I meant Gulp sand worms as they’re referred to on the recently closed SoCal website. 
In SoCal I believed that they are, or at least used to be a goto. I believe that they catch several species that frequent the SoCal surf. 

I did buy some of those Crusteaze. Unfortunately I’ve not had the opportunity to use them yet, What else do those Zman’s catch? I don’t know what other species sure present in your surf up there, but you sure catch... I love reading your posts, especially as I look to the snow on the o outside in PA.

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

What else do those Zman’s catch? I don’t know what other species sure present in your surf up there, but you sure catch... I love reading your posts, especially as I look to the snow on the o outside in PA.

JD

Snow?! Brrr. I grew up in Ohio. I've never used Crusteaz for anything other than surf perch. I read online about a guy in WV using them successfully for smallmouth bass.

Yeah--Big Gulp is the go-to around here too. I'm not a huge fan, too many little fish get hooked, too many nibbles that pull the worm off and expose the hook. Crusteaz seem to somehow select for bigger fish--I use bigger hooks than many guys, too. When the stripers show up in spring, I usually switch over to plugs and flies.

16 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Snow?! Brrr. I grew up in Ohio. I've never used Crusteaz for anything other than surf perch. I read online about a guy in WV using them successfully for smallmouth bass.

Yeah--Big Gulp is the go-to around here too. I'm not a huge fan, too many little fish get hooked, too many nibbles that pull the worm off and expose the hook. Crusteaz seem to somehow select for bigger fish--I use bigger hooks than many guys, too. When the stripers show up in spring, I usually switch over to plugs and flies.

Makes sense.

Thanks!

JD