SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,160 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

.  Years ago I could throw a shooting head fairly well but I am far from a skillful fly caster.  The perch & steelhead I've caught in the surf on flies has all been on a Carolina rig.   When that Zen Fly Fishing journal was active I would follow his reports regularly & compare how my success compared to his.  It truly was a fantastic resource.  We have some very talented surf oriented fly casters here in Monterey Bay.  One of them a fellow named Ken who is a biologist for Fish & Wildlife.   Mike

Like yourself, one heckuva nice guy.

22 hours ago, bass11 said:

Like yourself, one heckuva nice guy.

Ken's Instagram feed is pretty impressive as well, during surf season. He posts enough beach stripers on the fly to keep me going back for my usual  skunkings. 

8 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Ken's Instagram feed is pretty impressive as well, during surf season. He posts enough beach stripers on the fly to keep me going back for my usual  skunkings. 

Perhaps next summer when conditions are perfect for fly casting to stripers here in Monterey Bay you could make a run up here.   Mike

21 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Perhaps next summer when conditions are perfect for fly casting to stripers here in Monterey Bay you could make a run up here.   Mike

I like the way you think, Mike. In the past, I only did that a couple times (and caught fish) because I was always so damn busy traveling for work, the last thing I wanted to do on my day off was to get in the car again. And this summer, all travel was being discouraged by medical experts. I do have friends with beds in both Santa Cruz and Carmel, so yeah... next year!

I was able to sneak out on the kayak before the small craft advisory hit yesterday morning.  Only got 2.5 hours of fishing in, but I'll take it!  Winds were a steady 10 knots for most of it with a 4' swell.  That grew to 12 knots and 3' wind waves on top of the 4' swell late morning, so I called it a day and headed back to shore.  Obviously, I'm not getting much surf fishing in since I got the kayak.

First fish was a nice kelp greenling

EEeDDg1.jpg

That was followed by a shorty lingcod

Y0DosWZ.jpg

And soon after that, I brought in a nice 17" cabezon.  No pic of that one because it wrapped my line around some kelp on the way up and it was a bit stressed by the time I landed it.  I wanted to minimize time out of the water, so it was a quick dehook, measure and revival before letting it go back down to the reef and be happy.

All 3 fish were released to get caught another day.

I'm kicking myself for not asking for a selfie...

I had just arrived, and gave a few tosses with a generic 6' trout rod, using a 3/8oz jig paddletail that Mike gave me, when i saw something plastic floating out past the breakers and a daddy/little girl looking out at it. I walked over and offered to try and snag it. At about 100-120' out, the first cast was 2' beyond but 3' left. Only the second cast later, directly over it and 2' beyond for a perfect snag! (I was so proud of myself, thinking no way in the world could i ever do it.) 

That foot long plastic paddle-boarder was harder to land than any fish yet! (not counting the bat ray that one time.) 

... Wish i could post a selfie of it dangling from my rod and the huge-smiled 5-yr old girl.