SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,155 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, Double_D said:

We put a couple in the box ... Boat Capt. knew where the fish were at all I did was reel em in 

0D2AF4E3-2444-4E24-AD99-D87F74B20D95.jpeg

Hey Double D,   What the heck you doing on my 55 fathom rock?

2 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Hit the beach for what may be the last time this year. 

D3277A2E-2332-42DB-8E9D-B40ABF865E36.jpeg

Thassa real beauty AP, well done! I got skunked this morning on perch patrol.

Beautiful SRC, Brian! Does that conehead flash fly have a name? Looks like it would work for coho as well as trout.

I'm trying to get our rental in order before perch season around here. Still no action yet at the local beaches, that I can tell.

edit: I just found your post in Fly Tying... it's called a Goldie?

Edited by Uncle Stu

Uncle Stu or Stone Fish....... have you ever used a fly called the "Surf Miki"  or checked out an old website called Zen Fly Fishing?   I have done very well with the Surf Miki... Mostly on Barred Surf Perch but also a couple of random steelhead.

11 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

Uncle Stu or Stone Fish....... have you ever used a fly called the "Surf Miki"  or checked out an old website called Zen Fly Fishing?   I have done very well with the Surf Miki... Mostly on Barred Surf Perch but also a couple of random steelhead.

Mike,

I have not but I will check it out and see if it would work for searun cutthroat.

Thanks

SF

3 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Yes! While old, that website is far and away the best resource for fly fishing the mid-CA surf, IMHO. The Miki is a version of the conehead bugger that is my go-to for perch. When tied with brass eyes, we call it a Surf Rat because it looks like a rat. Stripers will attack it too. 

Link: https://zenflyfishing.com/surfmiki.html

Mike, I'm not sure I even realized that you were a fly guy, since you are known for your striper plugs. Cool.

5 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Yes! While old, that website is far and away the best resource for fly fishing the mid-CA surf, IMHO. The Miki is a version of the conehead bugger that is my go-to for perch. When tied with brass eyes, we call it a Surf Rat because it looks like a rat. Stripers will attack it too. 

Link: https://zenflyfishing.com/surfmiki.html

Mike, I'm not sure I even realized that you were a fly guy, since you are known for your striper plugs. Cool.

.  Years ago I could throw a shooting head fairly well but I am far from a skillful fly caster.  The perch & steelhead I've caught in the surf on flies has all been on a Carolina rig.   When that Zen Fly Fishing journal was active I would follow his reports regularly & compare how my success compared to his.  It truly was a fantastic resource.  We have some very talented surf oriented fly casters here in Monterey Bay.  One of them a fellow named Ken who is a biologist for Fish & Wildlife.   Mike