SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,160 posts in this topic

Got out to the beach early this morning to avoid the expecting weekends crowd later on the day. once i'm on the sand, saw quite amount of birds working way out, but close enough to cast out. after the 3rd cast with the little neck popper, The fish was on fighting thru the waves, it took a while to bring him in. once that's done. The birds were gone, no signs of bait no birds nothing. End the day with a striper  Happy :)

100_3673.JPG

Newbie here! Is it possible to get spooled on fairly large surf perch? I was out targeting perch, and my line was flying off!

I made some newbie mistakes and tried the horse him in with just the reel...and ended up with the fish unhooking itself.

18 hours ago, SweatyBadger said:

Newbie here! Is it possible to get spooled on fairly large surf perch? I was out targeting perch, and my line was flying off!

I made some newbie mistakes and tried the horse him in with just the reel...and ended up with the fish unhooking itself.

Umm, no it's not. Unless you we're reeling against the drag that you forgot to set it. The record perch is like 4.5lbs

Edited by SRFPLGN

On 8/7/2020 at 8:22 PM, Mike Fixter said:

Damn,  this is a busy thread............... I think Double D & LineSideSlayer scooped them all.................They been poaching my sand bar................

I got a new piece of surf fishing gear, this will allow me to stay out farther and longer on your sand bar.

Amazon.com : Ailike Inflatable Swim Arm Bands Water Wings for Kids ...

LinesideSlayer has one of these he likes entertaining himself alone at night on your sand bar

David Shrigley   'Ridiculous Inflatable Swan-Thing' Pool Float

Edited by Double_D

On 8/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, SweatyBadger said:

hey Sweaty--welcome. I've been spooled while fishing for perch. Something took my fly and just kept going and going. I figured it was probably a guitar fish or bat ray, or more improbably here on the West Coast, a huge striper.

Can't believe how shallow of waters these things strike in! Caught my PB (14 in 2 lbs 2 oz) in low tide after months of catching dinks. Was literally in an ankle deep water! Guess with the bigger ones they hook themselves/no hook set needed? I'm a noobie and still trying to figure it out! Tight lines out there gents!

IMG_20200827_131509.jpg

IMG_20200827_133641.jpg

Edited by SweatyBadger
Sentence error

SB, that is a heck of a nice perch......... & the more you fish the more you will discover they are not always where you would expect.    Also... I noticed in the picture you set you reel down in the sand.......................Next time try taking your hat off & set the reel in your hat...... good luck

You can also flip the reel to the other side so the handle is propping up the reel.  Sand on my reel is worse than scratching your nails on the chalkboard for me.  I treat it like a baby.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:38 PM, Mike Fixter said:

SB, that is a heck of a nice perch......... & the more you fish the more you will discover they are not always where you would expect.    Also... I noticed in the picture you set you reel down in the sand.......................Next time try taking your hat off & set the reel in your hat...... good luck

I did commit one of the cardinal sins of surf fishing, setting the reel down in the sand...Was just too excited, although I'll keep the hat trick in mind! Always tricky to keep to the reel off the sand!

On 8/28/2020 at 9:50 PM, Draekon said:

You can also flip the reel to the other side so the handle is propping up the reel.  Sand on my reel is worse than scratching your nails on the chalkboard for me.  I treat it like a baby.

Yeah the first couple times as a noobie, my reel took a few dunks. Got a quick lesson in how to do reel maintenance. Gotta admit though, as much as a pain of doing maintenance is, I find it enjoyable. Plus, it's rewarding to have the reel go from grinding like a pepper grinder to smooth as butter again. Until it takes another dunk at least, hah!