SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,154 posts in this topic

I thought I knew the inshore fish of Monterey Bay fairly well, but I can't ID what ever that is.  If it had a forked tail I might take a guess.... You caught it BRossi, now you got to ID it...

Been getting out when I can...still no stripers but getting a few fish here and there to keep me sane...all speared except for the Salmon of course. 

Have to leave town for a few weeks for family stuff, so will see what’s what when back in August. 

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

Sincerely,

Jim

A535D72A-53D1-4EFA-B8CC-0755F13076D8.jpeg

1CA09E4E-316B-44FC-808F-0B8D0290198D.jpeg

3A6ACF17-2974-4D95-A49D-7F3C0EC0DED4.jpeg

E55A8689-73A5-4DF6-868B-712EE740DFB4.jpeg

62737B8D-8994-4F45-8E7E-DB97A4CA64A2.jpeg

0046BA88-DE7A-415C-BAD8-E7691E463A7A.jpeg

1FA7ACD7-3F8D-43EB-BB3E-0FBAC2C6E53D.jpeg

7BBB0F10-52CB-4983-85F7-266AD1B49B8A.jpeg

7C5777BA-B820-45F2-8A25-0281E5484C13.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

I thought I knew the inshore fish of Monterey Bay fairly well, but I can't ID what ever that is.  If it had a forked tail I might take a guess.... You caught it BRossi, now you got to ID it...

Mike nothing new here, your just used to seeing them much bigger. I am going with baby White Seabass. 

11 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

If it's not a white sea bass I'm going to say it's a new species and have the beach closed. I'll need to have that particular area all to myself for research purposes.

3 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Mike nothing new here, your just used to seeing them much bigger. I am going with baby White Seabass. 

I think you're right. Partially because that's what I thought lol.

9 hours ago, ghostfish slayer said:

looks kind of like a like a white croaker...

I kinda thought so but the mouth looks wrong.

3 hours ago, BRossi said:

I think you're right. Partially because that's what I thought lol.

And where there are babies...momma can't be too far off! I have a few buddies that target them year round just off the kelp beds in your neck of the woods and do surprisingly well on them, so the catch doesn't surprise me and with the squid moving out of the Bay in the last week or so, the ones that didn't follow the squid like this little guy are hungry. 

4 mins ago, moocks said:

Looks like a California Queenfish

Moocks like my wife is almost always right, well not in the head, but on his fish IDs, so think he is also right on here!