SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,155 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Nice pics everyone!

Up in Idaho and fished legendary Silver Creek outside Picabo this morning.

Crystal clear water with lots of fish, lots of smart fish! The challenge is casting very small flies on 6X leader and making them look natural. Here I am standing in a pool casting to 18-20 inch trout and they are rejecting everything I tie on. I gave this BIG trout, at least 22 inches, just chomping in the hatch going past that’s ignoring everything I float past it’s nose.  Even the other fish, no matter how gently I make the presentation just ignore everything I have.

FINALLY I hook up!

..... it was a dink. Actually I feel pretty ok about not getting the skunk my first time there. But yes, there is unfinished business.

Fished the upper Green River near Pinedale, WY a couple days ago. Still early in the season so pretty fast water. I managed to hook a trout that I’d be bragging about right now but it broke me off. 

Jackson ( the town) was really crowded. I’m sure with some time there are some sweet spots to be had, but just didn’t have the time to sort it out. 

A very old friend suggested I give Island Park  (ID) a shot. He sent me to his spot of “great failure and great success”. Wanna guess how that turned out???

Plan to hit Silver Creek at least once more before heading home. Hope to get the “fine young cannibal” out at least once. Either on the Big Wood or Silver Creek.

..... and here is a picture of the young lad with the west slope of the Tetons in the background!

29FFD7B7-6844-44BF-BCF2-4D7D0A32A19B.jpeg

Shaaaaane!  Come baaack!

Went out to the beach this morning when it was low tide. saw much of the holes and structures around the sandy area. decided not to wait for the incoming tide. so ended up @ marin coast near paradise pier. lots of fisherman there were soaking bait with live and dead anchovies. saw a few anglers hook up some legal halibut (nothing gigantic). i had waited until the afternoon when the current were fast moving and switch to a heavier sinker(8oz) after rebaiting with a live shiner perch, waited for a few moment, the rod were bouncing up and down. grab the rod from the rod holder and tension from the other end were strong. reel in slowly and saw the fish and i was so excited and yell gaff please. my bubby help me with the assist. came home with this beauty all 27 inches.

100_3661.JPG

Edited by MultiCast

Hey Mr. Fixter

Thanks for the good wood. Nothing like walking up to a bunch of guys launching pencil poppers and nailing a decent fish on your second cast with one of your metal lips! 
Lee

F0EE8B15-C41E-4E11-884C-596691F5F800.jpeg

On 6/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, ghostfish slayer said:

My one bite this morning got a late start.. just over 3 feet On the tape.. revived released. Winch pencil.

IMG_20200627_092808.jpg

that's a real good one Kenny !  nice on the release/

Hello Weather Wizard... (AKA Lee)  Great job with the pikie.  I'm glad to see your putting it to its intended purpose.  Keep at it.... you personal best is just down the beach.... just keep walking until you hook up.... Mike

On 7/9/2020 at 1:24 AM, weatherguy777 said:

Hey Mr. Fixter

Thanks for the good wood. Nothing like walking up to a bunch of guys launching pencil poppers and nailing a decent fish on your second cast with one of your metal lips! 
Lee

F0EE8B15-C41E-4E11-884C-596691F5F800.jpeg

got a couple pencil dnks friday morning.. had a epic little top water session going on for about 20 min... right as the sun hit the water.. then i had to leave.. saturday i got 3 of 5 salmon on the mooch and sunday 2 of 3 on the mooch.. all about 18 to 20 lbs..

In keeping with the theme Mr. Fixter’s good wood. A couple of needlefish fish.  Mikes needles are so versatile. Use in the daytime as a pencil popper. Daytime or nighttime go slow with twitches. Good on the sometimes windy West Coast and awesome back east on a sand eel bite. Always have a couple in the bag. First pic was back East. Green is always good.

557F3184-8843-4B25-8B1B-6070EDAB0D4D.jpeg

3DCF88E6-B63F-433F-8D81-35DCECC604F3.jpeg

4662B505-28EB-4FAC-83DC-1D105409794D.jpeg

10 hours ago, weatherguy777 said:

In keeping with the theme Mr. Fixter’s good wood. A couple of needlefish fish.  Mikes needles are so versatile. Use in the daytime as a pencil popper. Daytime or nighttime go slow with twitches. Good on the sometimes windy West Coast and awesome back east on a sand eel bite. Always have a couple in the bag. First pic was back East. Green is always good.

557F3184-8843-4B25-8B1B-6070EDAB0D4D.jpeg

3DCF88E6-B63F-433F-8D81-35DCECC604F3.jpeg

4662B505-28EB-4FAC-83DC-1D105409794D.jpeg

Needlefish have been very good to me this year ... good job!