SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,155 posts in this topic

After a week of drought, went back out there this morning, There were a dozen guys were fishing already. after five minute later, the guy on my right hookup and the guy on my left, he hookup also. at this point, i have to decide which direction should i go, i went to the right side because i saw a nice looking trough there. i decided to switch lure, put on the sp minnow. on the second cast the little guy jump on the lure and took me for a ride, it took some time to get him in because he was hooked wayyyyy out there. after landing him, cast out again and this time the big boy grab the minnow on the way in. he jump several time out of the water, try to loosen the hook, but to no prevail. The morning session went quickly and came home for breakfast.

twin2.JPG

6 hours ago, MultiCast said:

After a week of drought, went back out there this morning, There were a dozen guys were fishing already. after five minute later, the guy on my right hookup and the guy on my left, he hookup also. at this point, i have to decide which direction should i go, i went to the right side because i saw a nice looking trough there. i decided to switch lure, put on the sp minnow. on the second cast the little guy jump on the lure and took me for a ride, it took some time to get him in because he was hooked wayyyyy out there. after landing him, cast out again and this time the big boy grab the minnow on the way in. he jump several time out of the water, try to loosen the hook, but to no prevail. The morning session went quickly and came home for breakfast.

twin2.JPG

Getting bit wayyyyy out there is nice :) Congrats!

Got up early this morning to hit my usual spot and it was picture perfect fishy looking when I got there. Nada. Split after 90 minutes of working around 200 yards of beach and grabbed a coffee.

Hit my next area and fished it for about an hour. Still nada.

Bait was in the water in both places but no stripers.

Story of my life, @Alferd Packer. Been seeing some nice stripers caught on Instagram, by the same guys who ALWAYS get em. But down here south of Big Sur, just stories and rumors but no bass in the surf for me. Nada. Zilch. And the perch have all gotten small again, as they always do this time of year. Other fly anglers smarter than me are getting into slab carp and largemouths in the local lakes. Meat fishers are stocking their freezers with rockfish they got on their kayaks. On the plus side, my spey casting is getting better, since I have a tidal inlet I can walk to and practice at sunset. Fingers crossed my Alaska trip happens in September. 

As they use to say (well, maybe), never compare your real-world experience with what you see on instagram. You will always be on the short end.

6 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Story of my life, @Alferd Packer. Been seeing some nice stripers caught on Instagram, by the same guys who ALWAYS get em. But down here south of Big Sur, just stories and rumors but no bass in the surf for me. Nada. Zilch. And the perch have all gotten small again, as they always do this time of year. Other fly anglers smarter than me are getting into slab carp and largemouths in the local lakes. Meat fishers are stocking their freezers with rockfish they got on their kayaks. On the plus side, my spey casting is getting better, since I have a tidal inlet I can walk to and practice at sunset. Fingers crossed my Alaska trip happens in September. 

Edited by Alferd Packer

i knotcast off my cotton candy winch pencil today.. did catch a dinker first cast this morning...still rather have one of my go to plugs though... that plug caught quite a few fish between 32-36 inches and a couple close to 40 inches. from such a high to low in one day...