SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,707 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, castbeyondthebreakers said:

Couple of those perch appear to be female perch preparing to release their young.

Proper time to be casting  a lure such as a shiner perch colored Rattle Trap

I impaled a barred in the head/fatal and felt bad about the little guys popping out into the surf.  She was robust. Do u know if they have a shot at survival if born prematurely? I've fished big traps a few times on the beach, but not consistently.   More of a bay search lure for me. 

I prefer my Rattle Traps not for perch, but as perch...especially after the last two season when gutted a few big striper and found partially digested surf perch. Gave this one a custom Barred perch paint job. The only downside they cast about as good as a metal lip or potato chip into the wind. 

IMG_7910 (1).JPG

Believe that the yet to be released perch babies have a chance at survival by being manually squeezed from the females belly/ies by the angler...if not surviving, better to provide forage for the Ocean's inhabitants then ending up in the trash!

Rattle Traps due have a propensity to be as aerodynamic as Rosie O'Donnell in a wind tunnel, Best to cast using the lightes test braid and casting into a outgoing Ocean's current  to carry the lure further out....the outgoing current will also aid in "rattling" the Rattle Trap as it is being retrieved back in...

15 hours ago, castbeyondthebreakers said:

Believe that the yet to be released perch babies have a chance at survival by being manually squeezed from the females belly/ies by the angler...if not surviving, better to provide forage for the Ocean's inhabitants then ending up in the trash!

Rattle Traps due have a propensity to be as aerodynamic as Rosie O'Donnell in a wind tunnel, Best to cast using the lightes test braid and casting into a outgoing Ocean's current  to carry the lure further out....the outgoing current will also aid in "rattling" the Rattle Trap as it is being retrieved back in...

I agree about them going back. Or let the swole bellies go. 

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

I agree about them going back. Or let the swole bellies go. 

Yup--squeeze the babies out if you wanna keep the mama. One time my wife did that and nailed a fat striper right after, on a Lucky Craft. She thinks it was attracted by the young uns. 

27 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Yup--squeeze the babies out if you wanna keep the mama. One time my wife did that and nailed a fat striper right after, on a Lucky Craft. She thinks it was attracted by the young uns. 

In Combination with...."Good Karma"

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, Linesideslayer said:

I prefer my Rattle Traps not for perch, but as perch...especially after the last two season when gutted a few big striper and found partially digested surf perch. Gave this one a custom Barred perch paint job. The only downside they cast about as good as a metal lip or potato chip into the wind. 

IMG_7910 (1).JPG

Oh great just what we need another custom plug maker ..... Lol! 

I would say more of a plug modifier or tinkerer, I have tried my hand at plug making and just not enough artistic or woodworking skill or patience, especially patience to wait for the paint to dry properly all the way before putting on the next coat. Also notorious for getting the plug just right, then just have to mess with it add one more coat, or accent color, end up F-ing it up. I will leave plug making to the plug makers, and I will gladly fish their plugs hard or admire them as art work. 

On 5/20/2020 at 7:59 PM, castbeyondthebreakers said:

yes 

if you didn't know - here in kommiefornia, if you keep the mum perch and the babies come out in the ice chest, they are counted as part of your limit.

twice the ticket if it's a redtail perch - must be 10 1/2" to keep.

6 hours ago, westcoastnewguy said:

yes 

if you didn't know - here in kommiefornia, if you keep the mum perch and the babies come out in the ice chest, they are counted as part of your limit.

twice the ticket if it's a redtail perch - must be 10 1/2" to keep.

Now That is VALUABLE INFORMATION!!!....NEVER was/is a fan of the Fish & LAME!!!!.....Paid For & BOUGHT OFF by Large Industrial AGRO Conglomerates....

If anyone QUESTIONS my Complete & Unwavering DISDAIN for the Fish & LAME!!!....

I offer up this All Encompassing Factual Example of the Impotently Eunuch Fish & LAME...

My Question....PLEASE tell me the number of miles the San Joaquin River has been DRAINED DRY under the Supposed Guardianship of the Fish & LAME???!!!.

FU$K the Fish & LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by castbeyondthebreakers

10 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

I would say more of a plug modifier or tinkerer, I have tried my hand at plug making and just not enough artistic or woodworking skill or patience, especially patience to wait for the paint to dry properly all the way before putting on the next coat. Also notorious for getting the plug just right, then just have to mess with it add one more coat, or accent color, end up F-ing it up. I will leave plug making to the plug makers, and I will gladly fish their plugs hard or admire them as art work. 

As time evolves, seemingly does man's penchant to evolve with it, whether or not the necessity for change is mandated by circumstances or a self-imposed requirement/s for change....

Does a Striped Bass Really care about how many coats of lacquer are applied to a plug...or a color scheme that would reveal the Sistine Chapel Ceiling???!!! 

Successful Angling for any species from a hand sized pond blue gill...to a Grander Blue Marlin can be reduced and summarized by a singular event ...."TIMING"...

Look for favorable tides that coincide with either "Dawn" or "Dusk"....LEARN HOW to READ WATERS & DON'T waste TIME in unproductive areas!!!...

Fish are like people...they are OPPORTUNISTIC!!!....They want Currents/Tides/Structure to BRING FOOD TO THEM!!!...

People fishing $30.00 plugs are similar to people owning Ferraris ( I own a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa that I track at Laguna Seca)...just cause you have the latest & greatest....DOESN'T mean you know How to Fish IT....Or Drive IT!!!....