SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,757 posts in this topic

I usually can’t land lings this large from off the rocks. The big ones hole up and you end up breaking them off. Got lucky with this lazy hog. I only keep legal lings under 25” for the table. This one still lives. 

2A7BBA39-62BA-494C-84BC-87FF7316536B.jpeg

5F6496CC-11B8-4450-A6F3-A0D3D4671B48.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skkeeter said:

I usually can’t land lings this large from off the rocks. The big ones hole up and you end up breaking them off. Got lucky with this lazy hog. I only keep legal lings under 25” for the table. This one still lives. 

Whoa... I wish we had the big lings within reach of shore fishing... WTG... I hope this one helps to populate your area.

Butch

Anybody know if San Gregario is open? 

I haven't been there before and might give it a try. Seems to be no fish at all in my local waters around Santa Cruz. 

8 mins ago, cityevader said:

I haven't been there before and might give it a try. Seems to be no fish at all in my local waters around Santa Cruz. 

Was open yesterday with about 40-50 cars there. I would make a few stops on the way there if I were you. 

6 hours ago, Skkeeter said:

Very nice! May I ask, what lure you used?

4 hours ago, Tbird650 said:

Was open yesterday with about 40-50 cars there. I would make a few stops on the way there if I were you. 

"make a few stops on the way"... Whatcha mean? 

4 hours ago, cityevader said:

"make a few stops on the way"... Whatcha mean? 

I would guess its a suggestion to sample the fishing at other beaches too. 

If you're coming up from SC, check out Scott Creek. Always looked inviting to me. 

Ya sorry. Like uncle Stu said try in between. 

Old smart fishermen once said “more fish are cut up by props then caught” lol. Meaning you don’t want to drive pass fish looking for fish....

You walk up and down when you are fishing huh? Covering a good amount of beach looking? Got to be something I would have thought.  You ever try the red gulp worms? I’ve had them just go for the red some days. 

I like to fish what I would call a hole for perch. I’ll look at the beach at low tide and see where the deepest spot is and focus on that. I think the key would be low tide scouting. 

Pressure is another thing. You fish popular beaches you have to compete with other fishermen. 

Someone said the state parking lot is locked today up here so it may be locked down there by now 

Ah, silly me. I was thinking stops along the way along hwy 280 from home. :)

SCZ is 40 minutes from south SJ, then driving up the coast, which is more feasible now with tourist numbers lower. 

I need to check the maps as i know several areas are no-fishing zones. 

SCZ area has silly-flat beaches. Only one has significant "structure"... Another reason why i want to try more northerly beaches facing "open" ocean. 

On 3/21/2020 at 8:51 AM, cityevader said:

I don't understand why aren't you trying in the Monterey area.  I have seen Ed Q. catching limits with his friends posting a lot on FB last month.  Last month, I tried a few beaches in SC/Moss Landing area and only got 1 perch.  I want to try further south next time.

It's an hour and a half just to get to Moss Landing without any traffic in the early A.M.

I'm not at all liking a drive further south. 

San Jose is known for being only 4hours away from nearly any possible California ecosystem, which is not great for merely day trips. 

San Gregario is the next closest beach to try....i think. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

We got 2 keepers yesterday and 4 today, on spinning gear. Early morning, incoming tide, medium surf. We used Carolina rigs with curly grubs (motor oil/red flake) and Z-Man Crusteaz (motor oil) and Big Gulp Sandworms. Biggest one 13" which is a mighty fine barperch in my book. See you on the beach. 

IMG_20200323_113805_814.jpg

IMG_20200322_121947_039.jpg

IMG_20200322_121722_895.jpg

Edited by Uncle Stu

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/22/2020 at 8:04 PM, cityevader said:

It's an hour and a half just to get to Moss Landing without any traffic in the early A.M.

I'm not at all liking a drive further south. 

San Jose is known for being only 4hours away from nearly any possible California ecosystem, which is not great for merely day trips. 

San Gregario is the next closest beach to try....i think. 

I thought you lived in Santa Cruz.  Any beach from Ocean Beach to San Gregario / Pescadero has more perch than Santa Cruz from my fishing trips this year.

San Gregario's parking lot is closed. You can try street parking but there are some no parking signs that some ignore. The sign there says to go to Gray Whale, Montara, etc.

Edited by Draekon
additional info

Thank you for the info. 

I work about a mile away from a SCZ beach (which is also the closest from SJ) so I often fish the evenings there... Last summer i was catching dozens each trip, but have caught only one in 5 months. 

A new weekend spot (north) leaving from SJ is what I'm after, but certainly not asking for "spot info".