Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

SaltWaterRooky

23 mins ago, MultiCast said:

Hey Butch, did you get the Hali on the Hot Lure (LC cherry berry).

No, it was caught on a blood worm. I have caught most of my legals  with an LC, but I have caught way more sub-legals baitfishing for perch, croaker and corbina. I have caught them  on sand crabs, BWs, ghost shrimp, clams, mussel and gulp. 

Butch

On 3/11/2020 at 0:41 PM, Stonefish said:

Been getting some fish but it has been a grind.

We've had a really wet and windy winter. The south wind has been kicking my ass, keeping the water filthy were I'd really like to fish.

I've had some success using black and purple flies in the dirty water but I'm way off last years catch rate for this far into the year.

I'm hoping the chocolate water disappears and the good gray colored water starts showing up.

SF

Yeah,  the water here has been nasty too. That and my local river is shut down until May 22.

21 hours ago, cityevader said:

I use Gulp and sand crabs. 

I'd really like to get another Bat ray now that i know how to prep and cook one. Last one took both hooks on hi lo rig, one hook Gulp and other hook sandcrab. 

Bat Rays can be fun. I used to wrap anchovy or Sardine in squid for them. 

I am SO jealous, as i may need to catch my food now that grocery store shelves are empty from panic-buyers. 

I was planning on pre-sunrise fishing tomorrow to beat the storm, but each time i look at the forecast it looks more miserable than before. 

4 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

We're both off work so we went to the beach. Got about 30 between us, 9 on the fly, kept two. A nice mix of barperch, calico, and shiners. So we won't starve yet!

IMG_20200319_153300_881.jpg

IMG_20200319_120512_514.jpg

Stu, you ARE the man. Nice fish. Are you shooting your pictures with expanded dynamic range?

Fished last night for a couple of hours. Had a few strikes but didn’t catch anything. Glad to get out of the house.

Edited by Alferd Packer

I've been hitting the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay area for months and have only caught seaweed....

Methinks i might try north at San Gregorio in two weeks, if i can get a parking spot outside the now-closed(?) gates. 

Where do Perch go over winter/spring? 

Offshore? North? South?..... fer sure not east...?

11 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Stu, you ARE the man. Nice fish. Are you shooting your pictures with expanded dynamic range?

nope... I use a crappy Android phone but my trick is to post first to Instagram with filters applied, then share those IG pics over here. Thanks for your kind words.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

10 hours ago, cityevader said:

I've been hitting the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay area for months and have only caught seaweed....

Methinks i might try north at San Gregorio in two weeks, if i can get a parking spot outside the now-closed(?) gates. 

Where do Perch go over winter/spring? 

Offshore? North? South?..... fer sure not east...?

I've always thought San Gregorio looked like a good area to fish... I like a mixture of sand and rocks for perch and striper. Winter and spring are the best perch seasons, IMHO. You get more BIG ones near shore in winter, and in spring you can get both bass and perch on jerkbaits like the Lucky Craft 110. I'm south of Big Sur. In very general terms (others on this forum probably know more than I) ... barred surfperch breed around Christmas time and bear live young in spring. Stripers start to show up in April or so and linger through August, but nowhere near the density you find in the Monterey Bay area. 

If you're getting skunked, maybe you're not hitting the right places at the right time with the right rig? The right places are steeper beaches with visible structure such as troughs, rips, and rocks. The right times are dawn and dusk within 2 hr before and after high tide. The right rig should be appropriate for the conditions... fish on the bottom on clean sand, or fish up high if you're in rocks and kelp.

If you're willing to sit and wait, bait fishing is probably the most effective technique for sheer numbers of fish. I prefer to "hunt" for fish by constantly searching and casting with flies, plugs, jigs and grubs. One adage to live by: never leave fish to find fish. If you get a bite or a fish, fish right there for a while. Sometimes the schools will hold in a feeding lane, other times they will move rapidly up and down the beach.

Hope this helps.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.