SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,419 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Tbird650 said:

Woww 15 days! What a trip. Bucket list stuff. Nice

 

Looks like he got a good work out by that sweat ring on his shirt. 

 

Who gaff a fish like that in the belly? Or was it the harpoon?

That gaff job was probably one of many gaffs to be able to get that fish over the rail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM, Tbird650 said:

well that didn’t work. Here’s the highlights..

F5C6A377-CAE6-4D66-B6E6-F1B681B22823.jpeg

48D8221D-4358-4900-A17B-E6FB8A46541D.jpeg

8F18C51A-50D0-49D9-A6AC-E651C95FA96A.jpeg

A892455B-8691-4830-92A1-752A41AAE65D.jpeg

565C5409-5535-4AAB-B183-2225FD9C9E63.jpeg

7B46C4A2-BD2C-4DCC-B091-615B39E5FC7A.jpeg

Nice job ,beautiful fish I go annually hoping to get a 20lber this year 15.7 is my PB beautiful place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, moocks said:

Nice of that sweaty old guy......... letting you hold it's fin

......

 

 Ohhhhhhhhhh....look who FINALLY decided to join the party!!!....My PAL Moocks!!!...which could ONLY mean "2"  things!!!...

 

"1".... The Golden Girls Marathon on cable is over...

"2"....Moocks was released from county for "Good Behavior"...after that UGLY incident at Denny's....when Moocks assaulted that Grandma who cut in line & grabbed the last chocolate chip Belgium waffle!!!...

 

 STILL WAITING for that smoked salmon I was Promised when Reagan was President

  

 

Edited by Tharsheblows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

......

 

 Ohhhhhhhhhh....look who FINALLY decided to join the party!!!....My PAL Moocks!!!...which could ONLY mean "2"  things!!!...

 

"1".... The Golden Girls Marathon on cable is over...

"2"....Moocks was released from county for "Good Behavior"...after that UGLY incident at Denny's....when Moocks assaulted that Grandma who cut in line & grabbed the last chocolate chip Belgium waffle!!!...

 

 STILL WAITING for that smoked salmon I was Promised when Reagan was President

  

 

e25ca5f6ba22692d8e855f3d1d45fda5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Surf Hunter said:

Calcaster is about as sneaky as a jackhammer.     :laugh:

 

The Mooks love is a little odd, but hey, I'm not judging.   :th:

Hey, there was no mention of casting 250 yards with an alvey so it can’t be him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BigNevadaBob said:

Hey, there was no mention of casting 250 yards with an alvey so it can’t be him!

Since my self-imposed hiatus...My distance has improved dramatically!!!....

The other day I was at casting from Ocean Beach ..& ....catching Lingcod from the Farallone Islands

Edited by Tharsheblows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Surf Hunter said:

Calcaster is about as sneaky as a jackhammer.     :laugh:

 

The Mooks love is a little odd, but hey, I'm not judging.   :th:

 More apropos would  metaphorically be..."A Wrecking Ball"....

Gheeeesh!!!....you CAN'T even spell..."Moocks"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, Tbird650 said:

Woww 15 days! What a trip. Bucket list stuff. Nice

 

Looks like he got a good work out by that sweat ring on his shirt. 

 

Who gaff a fish like that in the belly? Or was it the harpoon?

Four Crew members...."4" Gaffs...

The Angler was Elmer from Missouri ...FIRST TIME fishing in the Ocean of any location..Previous biggest catch was a 10lb catfish....

Just before sunset..a pod of LARGE YFT ( Yellow Fin Tuna)...CRASHED the chum line...4 LARGE YFT were hooked ..."2" were landed...Elmer's 308lb & a 315lber....

 

 I was fishing next to Elmer when the YFT took his bait....fish Instantly Peeled 500 yards of 100lb braid off his Accurate 50W....with 35lbs of drag....I was having an Excellent Trip in regards to YFT landed...so I reeled in...racked my rod....and was Elmer's "Wingman" for the 1-1/2 hours it took to land the YFT....the reason I'm wearing a glove is because I was  hand-lining the YFT when Elmer was too exhausted to lift the rod....reel down...and gain line....

I told Elmer when he was Exhausted & Questioning his neophyte abilities to subdue this YFT...."Elmer....BIG Fish are landed...a foot of line at a time!!!"....

I normally Don't poise nor take photos of fish....

 Elmer...Insisted I be included in the photograph!...

Thus as Moocks Sooooooooo sarcastically alluded to...."I got to hold the fin"....DAMN Moocks!!!!

Edited by Tharsheblows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Tharsheblows said:

Four Crew members...."4" Gaffs...

The Angler was Elmer from Missouri ...FIRST TIME fishing in the Ocean of any location..Previous biggest catch was a 10lb catfish....

Just before sunset..a pod of LARGE YFT ( Yellow Fin Tuna)...CRASHED the chum line...4 LARGE YFT were hooked ..."2" were landed...Elmer's 308lb & a 315lber....

 

 I was fishing next to Elmer when the YFT took his bait....fish Instantly Peeled 500 yards of 100lb braid off his Accurate 50W....with 35lbs of drag....I was having an Excellent Trip in regards to YFT landed...so I reeled in...racked my rod....and was Elmer's "Wingman" for the 1-1/2 hours it took to land the YFT....the reason I'm wearing a glove is because I was  hand-lining the YFT when Elmer was too exhausted to lift the rod....reel down...and gain line....

I told Elmer when he was Exhausted & Questioning his neophyte abilities to subdue this YFT...."Elmer....BIG Fish are landed...a foot of line at a time!!!"....

I normally Don't poise nor take photos of fish....

 Elmer...Insisted I be included in the photograph!...

Thus as Moocks Sooooooooo sarcastically alluded to...."I got to hold the fin"....DAMN Moocks!!!!

That was Cat Fish Cooley's grandpa  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, Tharsheblows said:

Four Crew members...."4" Gaffs...

The Angler was Elmer from Missouri ...FIRST TIME fishing in the Ocean of any location..Previous biggest catch was a 10lb catfish....

Just before sunset..a pod of LARGE YFT ( Yellow Fin Tuna)...CRASHED the chum line...4 LARGE YFT were hooked ..."2" were landed...Elmer's 308lb & a 315lber....

 

 I was fishing next to Elmer when the YFT took his bait....fish Instantly Peeled 500 yards of 100lb braid off his Accurate 50W....with 35lbs of drag....I was having an Excellent Trip in regards to YFT landed...so I reeled in...racked my rod....and was Elmer's "Wingman" for the 1-1/2 hours it took to land the YFT....the reason I'm wearing a glove is because I was  hand-lining the YFT when Elmer was too exhausted to lift the rod....reel down...and gain line....

I told Elmer when he was Exhausted & Questioning his neophyte abilities to subdue this YFT...."Elmer....BIG Fish are landed...a foot of line at a time!!!"....

I normally Don't poise nor take photos of fish....

 Elmer...Insisted I be included in the photograph!...

Thus as Moocks Sooooooooo sarcastically alluded to...."I got to hold the fin"....DAMN Moocks!!!!

I like stories

IMG_4010.JPG

Edited by J Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, J Adams said:

I like stories

IMG_4010.JPG

Some days..."The Stars Aline"....to...."Create a Magical Experience/s"...

The landing of the BIG Ling Cod...is a "Quintessential  Example"....of a certain fisherman's "Vast Experience"...."Prowess"....&...."infinite Finesse"

 That was...."One of those days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by Tharsheblows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a good day!! Looks like you had all your coolers full that day!

 

and nice story tharsheblows. I want to go fishing with you just to hear the story after lol. You guys write so much better then me :waah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tbird650 said:

That is a good day!! Looks like you had all your coolers full that day!

 

and nice story tharsheblows. I want to go fishing with you just to hear the story after lol. You guys write so much better then me :waah:

I was Extremely Fortunate as to if my future was preordained like a centuries old stone tablet which had been deeply inscribed by the sweat & infinite precisely placed hammer strikes of a skilled stone mason...in  regards to Saltwater/Freshwater fishing....My one Uncle was a Merchant Marine....he had Experienced the Vicious Wrath of an Angered God Neptune & the consequences  & tragic aftermaths  of  Tempest storms in every ocean known to mankind...

Uncle's name was "Richard".....I appropriately named him.."Captain Whitecap"...as Captain Whitecap's  Mariner's philosophy was as the sea state built & nautical conditions deteriorated  ...."We're out here...might as well fish"....

Soooooo as a young (8) year old apprentice learning & at times Suffering under Captain Whitecap's rather "Hell be Damned" approach to being out on Neptune's waters ....I grew to being accustomed to offshore conditions that found a large majority of anglers seeking the refuge & comfort of a tranquil harbor's sanctuary  ....whilst Captain Whitecap would relish & Proclaim with a grandiose retort...."The Amateurs are turning tail"....

 Captain Whitecap's vessel was a 40 ft  landing craft, converted into a Commercial Salmon Trawler....

One rather nautical passing through the Potato Patch a south wind had increased to 25+ knots combined with a Strong Outgoing Minus tide....

The 40 ft Sea Mist was being tossed about like a feather in a tornado...a LARGE breaking wave caught up with the stern of the Sea Mist....the Sea Mist was helpless & at the unforgiving mercy of Lord Neptune's will....the Sea Mist quickly approached an angle of listing which  seemed to  be beyond recovery ...Captain Whitecap spun the helm like a Las Vegas roulette wheel.....

What peerless fate....would  the Sea Mist either survive or succumb to ???!!!.....

Edited by Tharsheblows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True poetry. Well done sir

 

I worked on salmon boat as well. True adventure getting blown into different towns for the summer to get drunk and  cause a ruckus. Wake up trolling ,killing fish. Good times

 

 

 

Edited by Tbird650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.