SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,757 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Albycor said:

Hate you Spearo !

Quit hating & sell the boat and buy a wet suit & spear gun. Save money and lose weight, while spearing anything you legally can. Holding your breath for 5 minutes also helps I have heard, but this land lubber (as you know I am) wouldn't know though...

8 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

I get seasick in a bath tub.

I see a lot of Ralph In your future.

crab season opens Saturday.  Hopefully dropping pots soon.

Went up to Sac this weekend to try for salmon on the rivers...it was bleak. We didn't hook or even see anyone else hook a single salmon in 3 days and 30 hours of fishing on the water. Was the worst I have ever seen for this time of year in over 15 years, hope not a sign of how bad a shape the fishery is in. On a brighter note, me and my neighbor stopped by the dam on the way up to Sac at dawn and ended up hooking up a few small striper on topwater fun.

sactrip1.jpeg

sactrip2.jpeg

put_em_back correctly identified them as Menpachi.  I think some people use squirrelfish and soldierfish interchangeably, but we've always considered menpachi to be soldierfish.  IIRC, the Alaihi (squirrelfish) tend to have light/white horizontal lines.  As for Aweoweo (bigeye), we were always told the easy way to differentiate those is they have single, continuous dorsal fins while the others have 2 separate dorsal fins. 

We tried a different spot last night and caught a couple more, but we released them.  I really wasn't expecting to be able to catch anything at night since the moon is out.  I will say it sure is nice to be fishing at night in air AND water temps at ~75 degrees.  Hahaha.

Decided it was time to put the repaired shoulder to the test so I went out for an hour to Bodega Salmon Creek area  and got a couple 7 -1/4 to 7-1/2 inchers.No sense taking more than I can eat so came home and cooked em up.

crab5.jpg

crab.jpg

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

crab3.jpg

2 hours ago, cityevader said:

Wait...one can target crabs with a pole?!?! 

The more i find out, the dumber i feel. 

Why yes! 

In fact, do a quick search and you’ll find NUMEROUS spirited discussions on best crabbing rods, reels, and braid! Yes, using the right braid makes a hell of a difference!

Knock yourself out!