SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,757 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2019 at 6:11 AM, Stonefish said:

Fishing for searun cutthroat and this coho wanted in on some of the action.

Lots of fun on a 6 wt.

SF

08CF3FF0-3D9B-446E-8C1A-6DEF6B0D50DB.jpeg

That's awesome! I bet it was a lot of fun. 

TLDR: I went out on Saturday and shot a nice 35 inch Ling that was stoopid meaty and weighed 19.22 pounds with an empty belly. Was the biggest Ling speared at the Out to Sea Monterey BringTheLing comp, and got me 2nd place in the Spearo category. Winning Spearo had 2 lings for 19.64 pounds. I ate the Ling. It was yummy. 

Long version:

I kicked out before first light and started looking for Lings in some holes where I have found nice fish in the past. Conditions were great with calm, clear water and lots of rockfish etc but every hole I looked in was empty. 

Kept covering ground and exploring but 6+ hours later I had just shot one ~19 inch Black, I was getting tired, calves were cramping, sinuses were killing me (had a head cold all week) and still hadn't found a Ling.

I was considering starting heading in while floating over a fishy spot that holds a lot of blues and blacks, and has one obvious big boulder with a deep diagonal crack on one side at 25/30 feet....while watching the rockfish I see a big bulldog of a golden Ling come out from under the boulder chasing a little greenling, then disappear back in the crack...

I had checked this crack multiple times already and hadn't seen anything in there....looked again and nothing...started making drops looking all around the boulder for side entrances but no luck...

The main entrance crack was at an odd/awkward angle so I decided to try looking in it upside down to see if I could get a better view underneath....dropped in and shimmied my shoulders in as far as they could go, and finally there was the big old Ling head looking back at me. 

I came back up to breath and to think about how I would enter the crack with my gun to get the shot, dropped down again and put the shaft right between her eyes....

I could tell it was gonna take some work to get her out because she was underneath a constriction in the rock so let the reel line out and came back up to rest again and just kept tension on the line so she couldn't get further under the boulder...

Dropped down again and through the bloody haze I could see her head was super wedged under the constriction and even though the shot looked totally solid I couldn't budge her, and couldn't reach her with my hand...

Came back up again and swam over to my dive board and grabbed my back up gun...went back down and placed the shaft right in her eyeball.

Now with two shafts in her face I was able to use both to eventually (after 3/4 more tries) slide her head into a slightly wider spot, get my hand under her jaw and pull her out. 

Absolutely beautiful fish with bright golden colors and a giant head and super thick body.

Bled her, then strung her up on the dive board and got my gear stashed and swam back to the exit spot.

When I got out of the water I saw someone had stolen the backpack straps to my dive board, but had at least left my sneakers...... 

Strapped all my gear to the board, put the fish on my belt stringer and slung weight belt with hanging fish around my shoulders Chewbacca style, and carried board in one hand while using the other to climb/scramble back up.

Took me forever but finally made it back to the truck and the cold beer. 

PiggyCoolerCrop.jpg.e647982a3cb604c62bcedc42f5140938.jpg

Fish measured out to 35 inches and I could tell the belly wasn't full and she wasn't preggo so was thinking maybe 16-17 pounds, so was pleasantly surprised when it weighed 19.22 back at Out To Sea Monterey.

PiggyWeightCrop.jpg.3e800ec4b05fc93c5380324d0c0ef7e4.jpg

PiggyTailgateEmptyBellyCrop.jpg.831ac120e089bd4a66e8ef8bfe96144c.jpg

PiggyHeadMouthCrop.jpg.d05571006ee2afedd3ef14a325d762dc.jpg

PiggyCollarSexyFinsCrop.jpg.26796b9f305594317241f557faa05331.jpg

BaggedAndTaggedCrop.jpg.ee91b7d1516d34a825b08b1e46f8505e.jpg

The BringTheLing comp I was competing in was a two day and two fish comp, so knew my chances of winning would be a lot higher if I dove Sunday, but I was WRECKED and my sinuses were killing me, so decided to chill with the family Sunday instead of diving again.

My fish ended up being the biggest Ling speared and got me 2nd in the Spearo category behind 2 fish totaling 19.64 pounds.

I scored some cash and some gift certs and schwag and had a blast at the awards ceremony seeing old friends and making new ones.

JimGirls2ndPlaceCrop.jpg.ac6a5062eb2ea1ad8981d2a586591b16.jpg

WinningsCrop.jpg.88b7dbe3d9760e9fdb87f5fb9f68dc12.jpg

Such a tasty fish...stoked!

: )

PileOfFilletsCrop.jpg.58472f2baefe1c02b059dbc46107f362.jpg

CollarsCrop.jpg.804b9be0d4d27f9ca7a1d36979e2bc05.jpg

SizzlingSteaksCrop.jpg.143a4ae213cd2ff3422d6c73d65173cd.jpg

LingFlakesCrop.jpg.e85de42e9c4f3c49711c9a2895c0358a.jpg

Congrats BigJim!

What a nice ling! I would just chill out with the family too after shooting one like that :) . Can't believe there's so much meat on those pectoral fins, will have to remember to keep those next time.

Cheers!

Oh man.... Here i am, sky high happy at my biggest fish being a 13" Perch, just to see your current haul. 

(slumped shoulders, hands thrusting into pockets and toe kicking a pebble out of the hard dirt that I'm pouting at) 

I caught the Flu, boo! been sick for 3 days straight, keeping me off the water, go get'em boys and girls. Planning a Salmon fishing trip to Sac next weekend, praying for rain, but forecast no Bueno! Wish all those fishing this weekend good luck and catch something!

2 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

I caught the Flu, boo! been sick for 3 days straight, keeping me off the water, go get'em boys and girls. Planning a Salmon fishing trip to Sac next weekend, praying for rain, but forecast no Bueno! Wish all those fishing this weekend good luck and catch something!

Hope you feel better soon. I'll be out on the beach early. Good tides this weekend and excellent solunar... sun and moon rising about the same time can mean a good early bite. Too bad the bigger perch aint in yet. 

Edited by Uncle Stu

I have not caught anything in a bit. I did plug the beach a couple times this last week just to get out there but really been too busy working and to sore and tired to get after it when off.. Good going for those getting some.. 

Normally i stay light and mobile; only rod and backpack in order to cover ground or get away from seaweed. 

Yesterday i decided to bring ALL my gear and find a good spot to park myself. 

Being the first time using a sand spike for bait'n'wait, i had a big pole for that, a medium for carolina rig, and a small rod for flipping lures...soft ice chest for lunch and to hopefully fill with fish, sand crab rake, stool, blanket, etc. 

With a Saturday to myself, great weather/tide forecast, and a good night's rest, i drove 70 minutes to Sunset Beach, arriving just at sunrise, excitedly anticipating scouting out the best looking spot from atop the dune.......... 

The parking lot was stuffed full of cars with more arriving! They said it was for a Perch contest. Siigghhh. 

There looked to be 100 rods lining the shore. It was difficult to just enjoy how blessed I was for having an opportunity to do what I enjoy, since I kept eyeing all the "better spots" with envy for the first five+ hours... without a nibble. 

But over the nine hour span, i caught stuff. 

First, i glanced at the spiked rod which was bent over nearly to the ground! Something was pulling so hard that it was difficult to hold on! The spool was whizzing as drag was straining. Constant, hard pull, no pulsing... Ray? A strange feeling of excitement and fear mixed in with sudden sore shoulders. The Spinfisher 4500 was nearing the end of the line when suddenly, once the braid ran out and mono backer took over, SNAP! The braid broke at the double uni knot. 

I feel bad there is now a couple hundred yards of braid and a 3oz pyramid out there. (I'm going fully-spooled braid from now on.) 

Awhile later, exact same thing happened. This one was smaller, and took 10 minutes of care to bring it in. 30"(?) across but i didn't measure it since it took so long to get both hooks of the hi-lo rig out... after trying to figure out how to even carry the thing...it was slow to swim off. :(

Also caught a Jacksmelt with a Luckycraft Jacksmelt (cannibal) and two keeper Perch. I wish i could get more Jacksmelt as they fight well, and despite people's opinion, if the belly fat is removed, then it's smoked at 180° for a couple hours, it tastes amazing! 

Yay, no sunburn either! (pale red head) 

3 hours ago, cityevader said:

Normally i stay light and mobile; only rod and backpack in order to cover ground or get away from seaweed. 

Yesterday i decided to bring ALL my gear and find a good spot to park myself. 

Being the first time using a sand spike for bait'n'wait, i had a big pole for that, a medium for carolina rig, and a small rod for flipping lures...soft ice chest for lunch and to hopefully fill with fish, sand crab rake, stool, blanket, etc. 

With a Saturday to myself, great weather/tide forecast, and a good night's rest, i drove 70 minutes to Sunset Beach, arriving just at sunrise, excitedly anticipating scouting out the best looking spot from atop the dune.......... 

The parking lot was stuffed full of cars with more arriving! They said it was for a Perch contest. Siigghhh. 

There looked to be 100 rods lining the shore. It was difficult to just enjoy how blessed I was for having an opportunity to do what I enjoy, since I kept eyeing all the "better spots" with envy for the first five+ hours... without a nibble. 

But over the nine hour span, i caught stuff. 

First, i glanced at the spiked rod which was bent over nearly to the ground! Something was pulling so hard that it was difficult to hold on! The spool was whizzing as drag was straining. Constant, hard pull, no pulsing... Ray? A strange feeling of excitement and fear mixed in with sudden sore shoulders. The Spinfisher 4500 was nearing the end of the line when suddenly, once the braid ran out and mono backer took over, SNAP! The braid broke at the double uni knot. 

I feel bad there is now a couple hundred yards of braid and a 3oz pyramid out there. (I'm going fully-spooled braid from now on.) 

Awhile later, exact same thing happened. This one was smaller, and took 10 minutes of care to bring it in. 30"(?) across but i didn't measure it since it took so long to get both hooks of the hi-lo rig out... after trying to figure out how to even carry the thing...it was slow to swim off. :(

Also caught a Jacksmelt with a Luckycraft Jacksmelt (cannibal) and two keeper Perch. I wish i could get more Jacksmelt as they fight well, and despite people's opinion, if the belly fat is removed, then it's smoked at 180° for a couple hours, it tastes amazing! 

Yay, no sunburn either! (pale red head) 

Sorry to hear about your braid. Definitely sounds like a big ray. 

22 hours ago, SaltWaterRooky said:

Sorry to hear about your braid. Definitely sounds like a big ray. 

Ray. Got into them myself a couple of weekends ago, thick. Got to hole at dawn, two other guys there already and as I walk up, one of them hooks a 30 inch Halibut! Excited I threw a bucktail and instantly hooked up on what I thought was going to be a halibut of a lifetime, but then noticed no head shakes and just straight pull, then I see the long tail emerge and curse the cow nosed ray. hooked 4 more that morning on almost every consecutive cast and gave up fishing the spot. crazy how they will suck in a bucktail mid column, not sure what they were feeding on, but they were there in force.

Played hooky Friday afternoon and paddled out with my buddy Luke who tends bar at the Alvarado Street Brewery in Monterey. This was his first time diving off a kayak so I did my best to try and give him some tips and pointers.

Conditions were great with glassy waters, plenty of kelp and good visibility...didn't find anything big or sexy but took a few Blues, Olives, a small monkey and a decent scallop. Shared the scallop raw with Luke back at the truck, and gifted him the fish I shot to take home to share with his family and friends.

LukeKayakKelp.jpg.b256fa2b36f67a6753800071fb5d5584.jpg

ModestStringer.jpg.76fabf5c7f761ed7a50c60810c77bca4.jpg

Even though I'm done looking for Halibut, I couldn't resist going for a swim when I ended up down at the ocean on Saturday with my girls for a last minute family beach day.

Little but legal and tasty, my daughter Jayme was impressed when I came out of the water with the butt, and the chunky triggerfish was a nice bonus. 

JaymeOctoberButt.jpg.9e41a9e6c31a73e678a5146f93f540bb.jpg

OctoberButtTrigger.jpg.b3a226ee76022910f36f7c0d8fcf79be.jpg

Have now shot Halibut 7 months in a row (April to October)...I highly doubt I will get any in November, and have no plans to go look for them, but I guess you never know....

: )

Sincerely,

Jim