SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,455 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Haywardstriper said:

I agree but its made think I'm doing things wrong and getting a little mental for me. I also see what you mean by the riffraff. Some of these guys would get beat up on the East Coast but I guess I live in California now. Hope to share  my catch as I decided to hit the beaches every day until I get this down. Learning the area and connected with some great people so far and will meet Winch to get some of his stuff.

Thanks

I'm sure you know this... Fish morning and evening, medium to small surf, incoming or outgoing tide (not full high or low) and find some structure. Solunar charts are mostly bullcorn except for one thing: full moon at night will often kill off your morning bite. Best solunar condition (I've found) is when the sun and moon rise at the same time. When that happens, fish early and hard and be ready for anything. I use a web site called Tides 4 Fishing with solunar charts.

14 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

I'm sure you know this... Fish morning and evening, medium to small surf, incoming or outgoing tide (not full high or low) and find some structure. Solunar charts are mostly bullcorn except for one thing: full moon at night will often kill off your morning bite. Best solunar condition (I've found) is when the sun and moon rise at the same time. When that happens, fish early and hard and be ready for anything. I use a web site called Tides 4 Fishing with solunar charts.

Yes, Thank You. I have to fish around my work schedule but can report i'm 0-3 and fished from 6ish to sundown yesterday with one strike that I missed. I need to explore the area more and hopefully break my skunk streak soon. Access here is difficult and so far all i know is the left side of the Pacifica pier. Water color not to my liking and tons of weed.

15 hours ago, gantz88 said:

I’m not surprised you got skunk this past weekend, the surf was rough as hell. Gotta pick your battle and the right timing otherwise you’re going to skunk more often than not.

Yes, very rough and water color not what i'm used to with a lot of weeds. I hope to hook up soon.I was literally the only person fishing yesterday in Pacifica. 

Picked up a little butt last week on way down to Santa Barbara county for a family getaway...smallest one of the year so far for me but stoked on the quick reflex shot to get it in tail when spooked up...

13.jpg.1b21d4327032692d2b5990e304ea20ab.jpg

Down in the #805 I did a nice long day of kayak diving and exploring and didn't get any butts or see any wsb but had a great time and managed to get my PB Calico at 21+ inches and took a little sheep and a scallop for an app.

calicotankwell.jpg.6829d587398bcbcdefa24e9f57e66c52.jpg

21plusCalico.jpg.3bdb822b33f5499a4e4f0d38f5bf41b9.jpg
cencalcombo.jpg.21d1b489b269a41fe33376a6457252b8.jpg

SheepScallopApp.jpg.2bf4bea7adc2920b2b0dd6dd32b208d5.jpg

The ranch we were staying at prepped the calico and butt for us and it was bomb. 
BlackenedCalico.jpg.caed03dec7416c9458bd1ff39fbe8c52.jpg

LemonPepperButt.jpg.76a7585ad1f2d9f992e112c19ed84df2.jpg

Sincerely,

Jim

21 hours ago, telecronista said:

Don’t get down. I’ve been trying to catch a bass in the surf for 5 years. I think I’m retarded. 

Just hard headed. Persistence will pay off. 

21 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Went back for one last spring/summer trip to Merced River before it gets way too hot to comfortably camp up in gold country. We caught plenty of fish and explored some new water. We hiked up river, something I have not done in past trips as we usually go down river and did some scouting. My neighbor hooked a nice one in a pool on a Kastmaster after hiking 3 miles up river that was the only fish we harvested for dinner this trip, the rest we C&R'd. My son got his first wild river rainbow all-by himself, he rigged his rod, tied the knots, picked his offering (a Crème brand Trout Bug fly) adjusted the depth of his float, made his own cast and mended his line & drift, but when his bobber finally went down after several passes, he froze up though, but nothing a few shouts from his ol'dad to "set the hook son!" the bow came jumping clear out of the water three times before he landed it on the beach where a crowd had gathered to see his fish, quick pic and was released back. We had a great weekend. We did however run into some rattle snakes, one I practically almost stepped on and didn't know it until my neighbor came down the trail after me and saw it, was lucky that he was still cold as even a rock pitch at him wouldn't budge him, but when I pelted him with my wrist rocket that woke him up and got his tail shaking. We saw a few others tucked under rocks, scary.

DSCN2038.JPG

image1.jpeg

Poke pole for those rattlers  Nice trip.

4th straight day and again hit Pacifica and the Skunk is still on. I threw everything without a single strike. I also came close to getting washed out while cleaning the weeds out of my guides when a rogue wave slammed me at around 9 pm....That would have capped my experience so far.

I will be in Tahoe the next 4 days and will be back at it starting Monday. Its now getting personal for me and my reputation and morale is dwindling day by day but will not quit. 

1 hour ago, Haywardstriper said:

4th straight day and again hit Pacifica and the Skunk is still on. I threw everything without a single strike. I also came close to getting washed out while cleaning the weeds out of my guides when a rogue wave slammed me at around 9 pm....That would have capped my experience so far.

I will be in Tahoe the next 4 days and will be back at it starting Monday. Its now getting personal for me and my reputation and morale is dwindling day by day but will not quit. 

Keep at it.  Learn to work 3/4-1oz and 1.5oz bucktails.  Prob the best way to get em in #s. The most fun is topwater...but has its challenges.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I feel you brother... I have been hitting it hard last two weeks, with fair results ... I'm always looking for a fishing buddy. if you want to, I will meet up with you for an afternoon one week day or in the morning on the weekend and tell you what little I know and take you to one of the spots I fish. I have felt the pain as well but thankfully I have been pretty lucky so far this year I feel and would like the chance to pay it forward for the help I have been given

Edited by Tbird650

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, norcalkat said:

Mike Fixter Pikie is where it’s at.  :rav:

C712CBC2-9AB1-41DD-B9C3-9E51FDA2265B.jpeg

Did you paint that Orlando?

Nice fish!

Edited by Alferd Packer

6 hours ago, Haywardstriper said:

Don’t turn your back on the surf bro. Better yet, beyond just watching the wave that’s about to break, keep an eye on the next two that are stacking up. 

A couple of other questions for you.

Have you watched the vids on reading the water? They are here on SOL in several different threads. They might even be in one of the sticky’s in the West Coast forum. These are absolutely essential in learning to look for better spots on the beach.

Are you paying attention to what others fishing the beach are using, and if they’re successful? If the folks around you are successful, are the fish hitting at the end of the cast? Mid-retrieve? Or right at the lip? Are you targeting where they’re getting hits?

Another point, are the successful guys fishing the same part of the tide as you? Obviously, if everyone is leaving with fish as you’re arriving, you might want to change your timing a little.

So, enough questions for now. The most important thing is to keep at it. 

21 hours ago, Tbird650 said:

I feel you brother... I have been hitting it hard last two weeks, with fair results ... I'm always looking for a fishing buddy. if you want to, I will meet up with you for an afternoon one week day or in the morning on the weekend and tell you what little I know and take you to one of the spots I fish. I have felt the pain as well but thankfully I have been pretty lucky so far this year I feel and would like the chance to pay it forward for the help I have been given

Thanks Brother. I might take you on your offer soon! 

16 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Don’t turn your back on the surf bro. Better yet, beyond just watching the wave that’s about to break, keep an eye on the next two that are stacking up. 

A couple of other questions for you.

Have you watched the vids on reading the water? They are here on SOL in several different threads. They might even be in one of the sticky’s in the West Coast forum. These are absolutely essential in learning to look for better spots on the beach.

Are you paying attention to what others fishing the beach are using, and if they’re successful? If the folks around you are successful, are the fish hitting at the end of the cast? Mid-retrieve? Or right at the lip? Are you targeting where they’re getting hits?

Another point, are the successful guys fishing the same part of the tide as you? Obviously, if everyone is leaving with fish as you’re arriving, you might want to change your timing a little.

So, enough questions for now. The most important thing is to keep at it. 

Alfred thanks man. I was actually facing the surf and just trying to clean out one of the guides and did not know where the wave came from. It was my fault and gave me a good awaking. I have been fishing around my work schedule but agree the tides have not been in my favor so need to time this better. I also have only seen one fish caught and not the type to crowd someone on what they are using. I will keep at it and will buy everyone a round once I hook up on the 1st fish. I know its coming......:)