SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,269 posts in this topic

Alby nice crew, they could use some coffee or red bulls! But with an fish box full of fish, they deserve the rest, plus need to save their energy for moving plywood! haha

after a long hiatus, got to get out of the doldrums and fish. it was a sound decision because i ended up with 2 hookups and landed one. The fish was safe and release to fight another day.

100_3583.JPG

On 6/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, Alferd Packer said:

Went and fished the ebb last night after work.

Landed a couple, including this nice one on a Winch metal lip.

EA639F64-0123-453D-92E7-191C52DB6FD7.jpeg

Nice cigar!

14 hours ago, Madraz said:

Just got back but never made it onto the beach, note to self: don't stare at hot chicks while closing car doors...Crunch!

Looks like I need a new rod now :(

Well to be truthful.... I'm glad it was your rod.... 'cause at first I thought you were going to say the "crunch" was your fingers... The rod can be replaced... The fingers. not so much...

Butch

15 mins ago, Haywardstriper said:

Fished Sat and Sun and have the bad skunk smell on me. New to the area and threw buck-tails and assortment of SP minnows out with no luck.

Thanks

Welcome to the club. Skunks are part of the game. A big part, sometimes. Keeps the riffraff away :)

9 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Welcome to the club. Skunks are part of the game. A big part, sometimes. Keeps the riffraff away :)

I agree but its made think I'm doing things wrong and getting a little mental for me. I also see what you mean by the riffraff. Some of these guys would get beat up on the East Coast but I guess I live in California now. Hope to share  my catch as I decided to hit the beaches every day until I get this down. Learning the area and connected with some great people so far and will meet Winch to get some of his stuff.

Thanks

Went back for one last spring/summer trip to Merced River before it gets way too hot to comfortably camp up in gold country. We caught plenty of fish and explored some new water. We hiked up river, something I have not done in past trips as we usually go down river and did some scouting. My neighbor hooked a nice one in a pool on a Kastmaster after hiking 3 miles up river that was the only fish we harvested for dinner this trip, the rest we C&R'd. My son got his first wild river rainbow all-by himself, he rigged his rod, tied the knots, picked his offering (a Crème brand Trout Bug fly) adjusted the depth of his float, made his own cast and mended his line & drift, but when his bobber finally went down after several passes, he froze up though, but nothing a few shouts from his ol'dad to "set the hook son!" the bow came jumping clear out of the water three times before he landed it on the beach where a crowd had gathered to see his fish, quick pic and was released back. We had a great weekend. We did however run into some rattle snakes, one I practically almost stepped on and didn't know it until my neighbor came down the trail after me and saw it, was lucky that he was still cold as even a rock pitch at him wouldn't budge him, but when I pelted him with my wrist rocket that woke him up and got his tail shaking. We saw a few others tucked under rocks, scary.

DSCN2038.JPG

image1.jpeg

23 mins ago, Haywardstriper said:

I agree but its made think I'm doing things wrong and getting a little mental for me. I also see what you mean by the riffraff. Some of these guys would get beat up on the East Coast but I guess I live in California now. Hope to share  my catch as I decided to hit the beaches every day until I get this down. Learning the area and connected with some great people so far and will meet Winch to get some of his stuff.

Thanks

Don’t get down. I’ve been trying to catch a bass in the surf for 5 years. I think I’m retarded. 

Got out and fished the late incoming off one of the local beaches. Managed one at around 26”. 

Nothing was touching the Winch’s, Fixters, or Eurojets I was chucking out. I’m afraid it was a 3 oz diamond jig that did the trick. Since it was pretty shallow, I had to crank like hell. 

Edited by Alferd Packer

4 hours ago, Haywardstriper said:

Thanks

I’m not surprised you got skunk this past weekend, the surf was rough as hell. Gotta pick your battle and the right timing otherwise you’re going to skunk more often than not.