SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,327 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Nice looking spread. Which fish did you use for the ceviche?

I made one batch with the smaller/thinner halibut fillets, and one with the triggerfish.

Both great, but trigger is especially yummy.

: )

Sincerely,

Jim

Spring is finally are here. Birds are chirping in the early hours in the morning. no more rain are reported in the weather forecast. I even heard some reports say stripers are active on the surf. with that info in mind. i had decided to go target Halibut. figure every other scenario were dead on. got myself situated, got to the hunting ground with no one in site. Fan cast for about an hour had one tiny little hit, i stop reeling and  pause until the rod tip starts to bend and so i set the hook and i felt the weight, after a few head shakes. landed this beautiful Hali.:)  Had another hit but missed.:(

theyrback1.jpg

Carpal tunnel from surf fishing?  Fishing 3-5x a week is taking its toll on me.  Got these 3 today but hurt like hell.  But I’m no quitter !!!!

B0FEA55A-C496-4822-99E4-E665679D48C7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Albycor said:

Carpal tunnel from surf fishing?  Fishing 3-5x a week is taking its toll on me.  Got these 3 today but hurt like hell.  But I’m no quitter !!!!

no pain, no gain Mr. Albycor! Nice bassies.

4 hours ago, Albycor said:

I've been right there with you.  Had my right hand done in January. 

15 hours ago, Albycor said:

Nice fish! 

Physical Therapy? CBD?

Maybe lay off seeing Rosie Palma for a while? ;-)

On 5/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, Albycor said:

I would hazard to guess that this injury is caused/exacerbated by excessive jigging using a long spinning rod.  This could become serious if you don't take care of it. One possible short term remedy is to use a casting gear until your right wrist recovers. -LC

On 5/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, Albycor said:

Carpal tunnel from surf fishing?

Wussy with a capital P.

Got this one this morning on top water, almost as wide as she is long, big round girl! I am not known to pass up on a fatty! More pushin for my rods cushion. 

0531191136a (1).jpg

Landed this one this morning.  Thought about keeping it for a moment, but released it.  Caught using an X-Rap Long Cast Shallow (4-3/4") in Blue Sardine.  Apologies for the offset photo.  Both my brother and I had wet fingers and thought we had taken a multiple (centered) pics with my cell phone but it turned out that only one finger press actually registered.  D'oh!

HI2ywaH.jpg?3

6 hours ago, laughingcow said:

I would hazard to guess that this injury is caused/exacerbated by excessive jigging using a long spinning rod.  This could become serious if you don't take care of it. One possible short term remedy is to use a casting gear until your right wrist recovers. -LC

Great idea!   Might have to give it a go.  I forseee a lot of birdnests in my future.

3 hours ago, Kirby34 said:

Landed this one this morning.  Thought about keeping it for a moment, but released it.  Caught using an X-Rap Long Cast Shallow (4-3/4") in Blue Sardine.  Apologies for the offset photo.  Both my brother and I had wet fingers and thought we had taken a multiple (centered) pics with my cell phone but it turned out that only one finger press actually registered.  D'oh!

HI2ywaH.jpg?3

Nice single hooks. Good for fish.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:23 PM, weatherguy777 said:

Nice single hooks. Good for fish.

I believe most of the X-Rap model lures come stock with VMC single hooks.  

One thing I forgot to mention is that it was the first time I had used the lure AND it was on the very first cast.  I only switched to it because there was an onshore breeze and I wanted the extra weight compared to the LC Flash Minnow (1-1/4 oz vs 5/8 oz).  I found that it does tend to tumble in the air compared to the LC (note: using a tactical angler clip), but not every time like seems to happen with a Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow.  I showed a picture of the fish to my mom the next day and she made it clear that if I catch another keeper, I'm to bring it to her rather than release it.  Haha.

O13HmRV.jpg