SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,200 posts in this topic

Went from the surf yesterday with my brother and one of his buddies.  Almost 5 hours, tried LC Flash Minnow, sand crabs, 3 sandworm colors, 7 colors of Big Hammer and Kalin's grubs (with and without Smelly Jelly and Pro Cure), and got one nibble and one strike.  At least the strike resulted in a striper, though it wasn't a keeper.  Got it on a big soft shell sand crab.

u78fLnL.jpg

Went out Friday night and found a decent butt hiding in the sand...

Number3.jpg.112a882b7970b41b3ea9a016fddc21dc.jpg

Got an invite from my buddy Jesse to go out on Sunday looking for the BFT that have been seen in Monterey Bay...

We saw a few jumpers but couldn't get close enough to target them with hook and line or spear.

There was a LOT of life out there though...whales, dolphins, sealions, albatrosses...

Eventually I couldn't handle it anymore and suited up and jumped in next to a school of dolphins...I totally expected to see nothing or at the very most to see the school taking off and moving through...

The exact opposite happened though and the big school hung around and gave me the experience of a lifetime...I was with them for 10+ minutes and they showed no signs of leaving...

Dolphins1.jpg.bc1ae89e48e231ac674988489fcd5614.jpg

Dolphins2.jpg.c17298126f00b987f47fd6efdb8fb44a.jpg

Dolphins3.jpg.4a699dd1fa4a4cdea1848879f73767b9.jpg

Dolphins4.jpg.0c0cdc13f5bbf3ed493db60734f60c55.jpg

Dolphins5.jpg.7e0e89aba21b52dceca0980cf7e3e858.jpg

I've been diving for over 28 years and have never had a chance to swim with Dolphins before...so grateful and stoked that it happened!!

These were Pacific white-sided dolphins.

If you want to see the footage replace the DOT with a . in the link below....

https://youtuDOTbe/7KVHqmR_Nrg

Before we headed back in we hit a reef and filled the cooler with some quality rockfish and Lingcod.

Cooler.jpg.ead2d3c1616748b40243f3e0e8fca99a.jpg

Had a fantastic day today. hookup 3 stripers. The first one was a dink(16") and then the identical twin show up. They both were tape out at 26ish. All fish were safe and released. 

2hookup.jpg

3hookup.jpg

Nice fish boys--nice fat chunks. Looks like the bite is on. I haven't been out since the weekend, but I wanted to mention that a guy I know on Instagram landed a good one off the beach on his fly rod today. 41" ain't too shabby on a fly, and she was safely released to swim free and make more bass!

it was a short outing this morning, family and friends want some fish taco for tonites game. well, The out come did not disappoint them. The Huge California(Barred Perch) tape out @ 16". :)

niceouting.jpg

42 mins ago, MultiCast said:

it was a short outing this morning, family and friends want some fish taco for tonites game. well, The out come did not disappoint them. The Huge California(Barred Perch) tape out @ 16". :)

niceouting.jpg

Biggest barperch I've seen landed this year. Freaking MASSIVE.

also redtails and... is that a calico at bottom right?

16 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Biggest barperch I've seen landed this year. Freaking MASSIVE.

also redtails and... is that a calico at bottom right?

Hi Stu: No, it is all Barred and Redtails. 

1 hour ago, Mike Fixter said:

Speaking of Red Tails..... Thanks to Moocks Nor-Cal Red Tail Renegade Guide Service...

P5040897.JPG

P5040893.JPG

P5040878.JPG

Another great annual Red Tail Pilgrimage Nice red tail rig, too.:)

14 hours ago, Surf Hunter said:

Awesome Mike!   No crazy bi-catch this year? 

Hey Tom..... my by-catch this trip was a striped bass North of FT Bragg..... A scrawny 14"'er.  Conditions were beautiful.  1st day was a little slow.... maybe 10 medium sized Red Tails,  2nd day we went further north & I got around 40  Red Tails but very few of those "mega jumbo's".   3rd day tried a different location & got into a fantastic bite on good numbers of Red Tails to 16".  Some of them coughing up sticklebacks that must have been getting washed/carried into the surf by a nearby stream.  The perch were inhaling my 3" paddle-tail root beer  grub with the hook usually stuck deep to the roof of their mouths.  A long shank fine wire hook made it a bit easier to unhook them. Hopefully next trip I will be more mobile & able to try  for rockfish.  We had a very enjoyable trip & Moocks is a fantastic tour guide..   Mike