SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,413 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kirby34 said:

Got my PB barred perch this morning.  Would've liked to have known the weight, but we didn't have a scale.

UnPUBaG.jpg

sweet! when you get up around 17" you're within sight of a record breaking fish, aren't you? I never carry a scale either, and I'm assuming you didn't want to kill her when she is obviously full of babies. Man, those Lucky Craft plugs get the big ones. Did you catch others? When I use plugs, I catch very few but they are big ones.

53 mins ago, Alferd Packer said:

That’s A nice sized perch!

Thanks!

15 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

sweet! when you get up around 17" you're within sight of a record breaking fish, aren't you? I never carry a scale either, and I'm assuming you didn't want to kill her when she is obviously full of babies. Man, those Lucky Craft plugs get the big ones. Did you catch others? When I use plugs, I catch very few but they are big ones.

Oh, I made sure to get her back in the water as fast as I could and was happy to see her zip away.  I finally remembered to keep both my old cellphone (use just for pictures) and the tape measure in the chest pocket of my waders, so that definitely helped as I didn't have to walk all the way to my backpack.  I'm also glad that I had replaced the front and middle trebles with single hooks as that may have saved me time as well.  I got a ~12" male about 5 minutes later.  In both instances, I got a strike on the cast immediately preceding the ones when I hooked up and those were the only 4 strikes I got on the LC.  The only other fish I landed was a medium-sized male barred on a red Gulp sandworm, some 2 hours later.

My brother tried to lookup the record while we were still down on the beach, but couldn't get signal.  I searched when we got back to the truck and I don't know if it's official, but I came up with 18" and 4 1/2 lbs.

While on vacation trying to enjoy myself, pesky surf fishing reports were driving me insane.  Got back and have had a pretty good couple days pounding the sand.  4 trips and 18.7 miles produced 23 bass.  Today I logged 5.3 miles and caught 8 bass.  Got my biggest of the year so far.

4592DA77-EBEC-4C44-B21C-D63AEBBA383F.jpeg

FFEE3FB0-FB95-4456-9E56-301393C7FB8A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Albycor said:

While on vacation trying to enjoy myself, pesky surf fishing reports were driving me insane.  Got back and have had a pretty good couple days pounding the sand.  4 trips and 18.7 miles produced 23 bass.  Today I logged 5.3 miles and caught 8 bass.  Got my biggest of the year so far.

4592DA77-EBEC-4C44-B21C-D63AEBBA383F.jpeg

FFEE3FB0-FB95-4456-9E56-301393C7FB8A.jpeg

Impressive mileage!

Here's a 24" I caught and released.  Landed another 19" and a schoolie which I didn't measure, followed by an undersized halibut.  Looks like it's going to be another banner year.

24inch.jpg